PDA

View Full Version : differences?

digital
06-30-2003, 04:49 AM
I fail to see the difference in Fine, medium, and heavy cut cleaner to DACP or their SMR...or the machine glaze to new car glaze or show car glaze....

I am trying to decide on whether to get the 3 cut cleaners, or just DACP and SMR or all 5?!?!

Anyone care to explain?

JasonC8301
06-30-2003, 05:02 AM
It depends on what finish you are working on and what type of polisher you are using.

#2 (fine), #1(medium), and #4 (heavy?) are meant for rotary buffer`s only, but some people have had success with these cleaner/polishes by DA polishers. These cleaners more or less concentrate on removing dead paint and oxidation over swirl removal (which these cleaners still remove swirls, just not as good as a polish meant for swirls, but a polish meant for swirls doesn`t remove oxidation as much, very minimal difference in formulas between the two.) This is apart of the Mirror Glaze line.

The Meguiar`s #9 SMR 2.0 is a very gentle swirl mark remover. Tt does contain fillers so you are removing/rounding out some swirls and filling the deeper ones.

DACP is a good all around cleaner and polish. It removes swirls and restores gloss. Its apart of their Body Shop Line.

Machine Glaze #3 was meant for rotary buffer application but some people prefer to use this over #7 Show car glaze because of easier removal.

Meguiar`s #7 is a nice product if used correctly. Link below to directions on how to use it.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23740

Meguiar`s #5 New Car glaze is not often discussed here. Mike Phillips can offer some insight?

While on the topic of glazes, Meguiar`s #81 Hand polish is another glaze Meguiar`s makes. Supposed to be designed for clear coat finishes (#7 is meant for older laquer/enamel finishes but can be used on clear coats too.)

Ok, now All that is thrown into the post, I recommend DACP and SMR as a good starting point.

If you are using the PC, the medium cut #1 is the harshest I would go in terms of liquid polishes/compounds.

digital
06-30-2003, 05:15 AM
I have a DA polisher, so should I get DACP and SMR?

and if I do get medium cut, should I be using that with the red cutting pad or yellow?

I have some pretty heavy swirl marks, with the DACP with yellow pad on my DA polisher get them out?

JasonC8301
06-30-2003, 01:12 PM
Try DACP with a foam cutting pad. A few passes should help. Where in NJ are you?

digital
06-30-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by JasonC8301

Try DACP with a foam cutting pad. A few passes should help. Where in NJ are you?

bergen county, englewood

JasonC8301
06-30-2003, 04:51 PM
wow, thats really up North. I spend a lot of time out in Old Bridge, which is southern NJ....