PDA

View Full Version : 93 F150 and oxidation...

bnizzle1202
06-30-2003, 12:26 AM
I just picked up a 93 Ford F150 and it has some oxidation on the paint. I don`t know if it is clearcoated or not (it is original). Will claying the paint remove the oxidation or is there something else I must do? Any help/hints on trying to restore what I can would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Fr0zen
06-30-2003, 12:29 AM
No claying will not remove the oxidation. Try something Like Meguiars Dual Action Cleaner Polish AKA DACP. To remove it you will need a PC or a rotary PC [Porter cable dual action polisher] If the DACP will not remove it step up to something More agressive Menzerna Powergloss or Meguiars #4. If its clearcoated or not wont really matter all new products are clearcoat safe lets hope the oxidation is in the clearcoat its alot harder to remove from the paint.

Here are links to where to buy all these products.

www.properautocare.com

www.topoftheline.com

www.premiumautocare.com

www.autopia-carcare.com

www.dealergoodies.com

also use our search function it works wonders. also read the autopia detailing guide it will also help you decide on products and ways of useing them . :xyxthumbs

imported_Smoker
06-30-2003, 12:52 AM
I`ve seen AIO work pretty well on oxidation.

I know DACP does too.

Used both plenty of times.

Of the two, AIO is actually alot more user friendly.

DACP has a wicked habit of `welding` itself to the paint and being a pig to remove.

Fr0zen
06-30-2003, 12:58 AM
When applyed Right it shouldent have that problem if you let it try I usally spray it with QD and it comes off like butter.

chris0626
06-30-2003, 01:20 AM
As others have said, claying will not significantly deal with oxidation.

Some folks are very quick to tell newcomers to buy a buffer and various polishes ... and sometimes, maybe that`s the right approach. But I have a mildly oxidized `93 Benz (from the days before I discovered Autopia), and this thread from Jngrbrdman (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23482) persuaded me to buy AIO to deal with the oxidation. Maybe you`ll want to give it a try before moving on to harsher methods. Of course, it depends on how severe your problem is.