PDA

View Full Version : is my Random orbital buffer useless?

speed_d3mon
06-29-2003, 04:00 PM
i was given this 10 in random orbital buffer from my fiance. we`re tight on budget and i can`t afford a PC. its got an 2600 RPM rating. its also has a foam backing pad and came with 2 terry bonnets. i spent 2 hours on the hood of her 98 Champange Accord this morning, all by hand. this is what i did...

1.wash with meg`s Gold Class shampoo

2.Mother`s Clay bar kit

3.wiped down 50/50 water and alcohol

4.Meg`s Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner

5.Meg`s Deep Crystal Polish

6.Meg`s Gold Class Clear Coat Car Wax

i used terry cloth pads to apply and buff. i`ve heard this buffer can do more harm than good. should i just return it? what`s another safe alternative to the "hand" or PC?

Beason
06-29-2003, 04:38 PM
do not be afraid of it. With a random orbit buffer you have no chance of really hurting your paint. Even though a rotary or PC would be better, what you have will do just fine. It will do better then by hand

CRXSi90
06-29-2003, 08:33 PM
if you want a cheap rotary....

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Category.taf?CategoryID=105&pricetype=

but you`ll probably want to have some other pad(s) and possibly a velcro backing plate. That`d bring the cost up some.

You can`t really use a rotary to apply wax either. This isn`t a SAFE alternative to hand/PC.

shaf
06-29-2003, 10:32 PM
None of the products you have listed there will show a ton of benefit from machine application anyway. They`re either non-abrasive or very mild (Step 1 Paint Cleaner). I don`t know much about these non-PC RO`s, but it might be easier than hand applying some of the stuff.

Check out this thread: http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24879&highlight=bonnet

upsdude
07-22-2003, 06:52 PM
I did some research on this one. A random orbital is really just a timesaver. It will do no better a job than you could buy hand with a little old-fashioned elbow grease. You`d be hard pressed to damage your paint with this.

Heff
07-22-2003, 07:42 PM
I bought a ryobi $30 10 inch orbital last year, and i have used it on over 100 cars since then, and it was the best investment I have made in detailing. It will only apply and remove waxes and pre cleaners, but it definitely saves time and shoulders. If you end up doing alot of volume, then upgrade to a better orbital or a pc, but until then enjoy it, I`m sure you`ll get your money`s worth.

Heff

earthspa
07-22-2003, 08:08 PM
I bought a 10 inch turtle wax orbital buffer polisher last week and after using it over the weekend put it in its box and set it out on the street with a sign that said "take it". I finished my job by hand and felt much better for it.

steve