PDA

View Full Version : Swirl Help???

A4 No More
06-29-2003, 08:00 AM
My soon to be in-law`s just gave us a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Pretty nice SUV, however it`s black and swirled like crazy! Other than the swirls the paint is in terrific shape, no oxidation, stains, scrathes etc...Just swirls. What steps/products should I use to remove them.(I have always owned white and silver cars before). I have plenty of products like Blackfire, Zaino(the whole line just about), S100, Blitz, 3M IHG, 3M SMR (for dark cars) 3M Perfect-it II Rubbing Compound and 3M FI-II Machine Polish. I also have a Porter Cable with wool, white, yellow and grey pads. I am not opposed to, and can always use an excuse to buy more stuff if needed. Thanks in advance for the help.

AWDRATT
06-29-2003, 08:20 AM
Hi there A4 No More,

Our friendly search button its a great helper. But to give you a short answer, try 3M SMR with a white pad, if that doesn`t do it, move to a yellow pad.

Tell us what happened.

A4 No More
06-29-2003, 08:41 AM
Lynxowner, Thanks for the input. I did search and searched again. Most of the stuff I came across said 3M SMR was more of a filler than a remover. Also much debate as what to apply before and after SMR, I assume I can`t just leave it like that and expect it to hold up long? Some say follow with 3M IHG, other post`s say the IHG is a waste after SMR etc... I was hoping someone could list a process that they have tried and has worked. I would hate to waste a few hours using SMR only to mess it up topping it off with something...

Accumulator
06-29-2003, 09:35 AM
A4 No More- I did a relative`s Outback that was probably in the same shape as your SUV. The FI-II/yellow pad followed by SMR/white BARELY got the swirls down to an acceptable level after a LOT of work (HOURS), and that vehicle wasn`t black AND I was doing it for someone who wasn`t NEARLY as picky as you probably are. SO...

Start with the FI-II/yellow. If that doesn`t cut it (or cut it fast enough), use the RC/yellow for a few passes. That WILL need to be gone over again with the FI-II/yellow and/or white, which in turn MIGHT need gone over with something even milder, like your SMR/white. The IHG is strictly a filler and would either compromise the bonding of, or, be removed by, some of the "final" products you`ve listed. I`d just skip it. For a different SMR-type product, I like 3M`s PI-III (#05937)- no fillers, fairly mild but aggressive enough.

I`d use either your Z or BF so you don`t have to spend the summer redoing it all the time.

A4 No More
06-30-2003, 08:47 AM
Accumulator, Thanks for the info! I am going to try and pick up a bottle of PI-III Today and give it a shot if the rain holds off.

imported_Smoker
06-30-2003, 10:15 AM
DACP and a Maroon cutting pad are my workhorse swirl removers.

Diamond Cut for the nasty bits.

Neither leave a haze or any marks ......

Buck-O
06-30-2003, 03:38 PM
Smoker, im assuming you use the meguires maroon cutting pad correct?

Ive got the yellow cutting pad, and beige polishing pad.

I have the CMA orange, yellow, white and black pads...but aside from the orange pad, i prefer the Meguires pads better.

Anyway, i was wondering how the maroon compared to the pads from CMA?

i.e.

Maroon = yellow

Yellow = white

Beige = black

????

imported_Smoker
06-30-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Buck-O

Smoker, im assuming you use the meguires maroon cutting pad correct?

Ive got the yellow cutting pad, and beige polishing pad.

I have the CMA orange, yellow, white and black pads...but aside from the orange pad, i prefer the Meguires pads better.

Anyway, i was wondering how the maroon compared to the pads from CMA?

i.e.

Maroon = yellow

Yellow = white

Beige = black

????

CMA Yellow = Megs Maroon = Cutting

Megs Yellow is for polishing and Megs Beige is a finishing pad.

I personally havnt found a use for the beige one as any sealants or waxes go on and off by hand.

My Maroon ones on the other hand get ALOT of abuse.