PDA

View Full Version : The Six Requirements

iamwildman
06-27-2003, 02:13 AM
I’m having some trouble with what products are for what. I go to the local auto store and there are just to many products to chose from. If you go to the “ LEARN” part of the site at the top of the page and then to the "The Perfect Shine" article, it says there are six requirements, good paint condition, free of all contaminants, polished, protected, glazed and waxed. Could you all give me an example of each of these requierments with the product you use?

This is what I have so far, are they in the right spot?

Good paint condition - Mothers showtime Instant Detailer

Free of all contaminants - Dawn dish soap, Mother CA Gold clay bar

Polish - ?(never see "Polish" at store, what to look for, Swirl remover?)

Glazed - Mother CA Gold carnauba cleaner wax?

Protected - Meg`s Gold Class clear coat liquid car wax?

Waxed - Mothers CA Gold pure carnauba wax?

See, I get a little confused with the last three. Isn`t Glazed, protected and waxed the same thing?

forrest@mothers
06-27-2003, 08:27 AM
Well, you need a proper car wash for regular use.

But as for your list:

Polish would be a product like 3M SMR (39009) or Mirror Glaze #9.

Glaze would be Mothers Sealer and Glaze, or Meguiar`s #7. You have a 1 step cleaner wax listed.

For protection, you have another cleaner wax listed. (?)

I haven`t read trough the article (and no time now `cause I`m runnung out the hotel door), but I`m guessing the protected and waxed steps are the same thing - just make sure the wax you choose to use doesn`t have cleaners in it, or it`ll remove the glaze you applied previous.

butchdave
06-27-2003, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by BlackRegal

Glaze - Meguiars #7 or Meguiars Hand Polish

Protect - Klasse AIO + Klasse SG

Yes, but you can`t glaze and protect (can you?)

AIO and the other protection base layers tend to be cleaners and will remove the glaze. Glaze (I`m told) over the protection won`t work either as it can contain solvents which could remove the protection (but I will be trying this one)

forrest@mothers
06-27-2003, 10:08 AM
butchdave - you`re right.

It has to be either glaze or protect, and then the wax (the type without cleaners) over the top of it.

SK2003TypeS
06-27-2003, 10:39 AM
This is an awesome write up on #7. I`ve read it a few times and will read many more....

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23740

shaf
06-27-2003, 02:21 PM
I believe the Six Requirements are only principles, and cannot simply be equated with a product.

Good paint condition - Is the paint "healthy"? ie, Is it not failing, chipping off, faded beyond hope, etc.

Free of all contaminants - Dirt and embedded contamination free. Wash and clay usually.

Polish - Usually finishes need abrasive polishing with a swirl remover or something to get it swirl, oxidation, and scratch-free. Choose a product(s) that is suitable for your needs. This is the most important step.

Glazed - Glazing adds "pop" to the final polished work and fills in microscopic defects. In addition to those mentioned above, IHG is also a glaze. I don`t think this step applies when using sealant systems because you cannot use glaze with them. However IMHO you can get a similar effect by layering multiple coats of sealant.

Protected - Is what you`re using offering good protection from the elements? I`m kind of "hazy" on this principle myself, since I think if the car is waxed it is protected, although some products offer greater protection than others.

Waxed - Wax or polymer sealant, IMO.

That`s my 6 cents! :D