PDA

View Full Version : Detaling day 2 done... whew!

imported_BluHeaven
06-27-2003, 12:13 AM
tomorow I`m putting it on jackstands and taking the wheels off so they can be scrubbed and treated... then I`m gonna wipe down the wheel wells and stuff, put it back together and then prolly do a 2nd coat. Depending on what time Chad gets home and if its tomorow of sat. I might get a 3rd coat on there!

Will take more pictures when it actually comes out of the garage ;)

http://users.sisna.com/Rave_nGTI/selfport.jpg

http://users.sisna.com/Rave_nGTI/reflections.jpg

It was my first time using a PC (or any buffer for that matter!) I did menzerna intensive polish with a yellow pad, blackfire polish with a white pad, blackfire `wax` with the gray pad. I`m not sure what the swirls are like cause I havn`t had it out in the sun.. but I can`t see any. There are a few water spots that did not come out all the way :( but they are much improved... you can only see them in certain angles. It did do a good job of removing/hiding some deep scratches i had though!

All in all I`m pleased so far. I`m not too keen on the menzerna only because it left powder and dust everywhere and the stuff will just not go away! I need a high pressure air gun or something to blow it out... then it wouldnt be that big of a deal! otherwise it wasnt bad at all. Didnt go on terribly smooth... but not bad. I`m also not happy with the way it wedged itself into the edges of the clearbra.... I got most of it out using my fingernail and a cloth... but some of it just doesnt want to budge! and some of it worked its way under the bra :(

The blackfire products were a dream... right on and right off!

2wheelsx2
06-27-2003, 12:21 AM
Looks like a great job! You might want to considering getting some of that blue or green masking tape the next time you polish, and tape over the edges of the clear bra (overlapped a bit) so that the polish doesn`t go under. You can then work those small areas by hand carefully.

Be sure to post some pics in sunlight! :)

Fr0zen
06-27-2003, 12:34 AM
Yeah I find that there is splatter all over my garage but that usually because you mist to much or start off at to high of speed when the polish gets worked in its fine.

imported_BluHeaven
06-27-2003, 12:49 AM
hmmm..

well I had the pc set between 3 and what I think was 3-1/2...

How much are you supposed to mist the pad?? I gave it one or two quick mists from about a foot away... did I get it too wet?

Most of the stuff actually flung off the pad and went everywhere while I was working.... It started after I`d done the hood and one side of the car. Did I use too much product? let too much cake onto the pad? I didnt have another yellow pad to swap to.

JasonC8301
06-27-2003, 01:00 AM
Hey whose that girl in the reflection? The convertible in the background. She looks sweet....... I know too much gone in 60 seconds. Chad is a lucky guy though.

Anyway, I like to apply some product onto the pad and spread it around before turning on the PC at 1 or 2. If its a mild polish like the Bf polish, I`ll speed it up to 3 1/2 -4. If it is a medium polish to get out swirls andscratches. I put down some pressure and have it at 6.

If the pad becomes caked. I wash it out with water and put my hand on it and turn on the PC to 3 to let the water get "pushed" off the pad. I leave it damp and it helps apply the polishes better. Might even try that with the BF sealant.

Hppy Detailing, lookin great so far (both of you, lol),

Jason

imported_BluHeaven
06-27-2003, 01:07 AM
ahhh yes.... `she` doesnt have a name... but its a 66 corvette stingray removable hardtop original 427 car minus the original 427....

instead its got a 502BB, 6515hp, 650ft tq, stepped headers and a custom mandrel bent 2.5" exhaust with x-pipe and borla mufflers.

Prolly an 11.80 car here at elevation.... its got 10" slicks on it right now! They took it up racing on some abandoned roads and kicked butt.

I should post a picture of it.... the paint is over 15 years old and almost looks as good as mine :)

Fr0zen
06-27-2003, 01:08 AM
Wow nice What would Win you TT or the Stingray ? Or you havent tried that with the TT yet because its not burned in.

JasonC8301
06-27-2003, 01:09 AM
Nice!!!! I want one!!!!

imported_BluHeaven
06-27-2003, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Fr0zen

Wow nice What would Win you TT or the Stingray ? Or you havent tried that with the TT yet because its not burned in.

Deffinately the stingray!!!! my car would be lucky to run a high 14 second pass if I ever took it to the track. The vette would pull on it so fast it would be like the TT was floored in reverse!! Its fast enough for me.... but that corvette is ungodly fast.. which is crap your pants scary cause its all fiberglass with no roll cage or bar, no top and only lap belts :eek:

It doesnt compare to the `other` car though... who`s parking space I am borrowing here in the garage.... its even faster than the vette... prolly the fastest `door slammer` true street car in the state of new mexico. They are at the dyno with it right now... I`m guessing 1300hp... :shocked

Pats300zx
06-27-2003, 06:31 AM
BluHeaven...

Great pics of your work. Would love to see some pics of that Corvette Stingray....

2002 Maxima SE
06-27-2003, 11:03 AM
What do you use on the wheel wells? Mine are grey from dust/dirt. Would love to get them back to black.

domZ'sp5
06-27-2003, 11:59 AM
Good to see someone else from New Mexico posting...I think I may have seen that TT before. You in ABQ?

I think we may have the best climate for detailing.

With no rain, ever, all of our hard work stays nice for a longer period of time...as long as you can dust the car off every night and stay in the garage for our wind/drizzle storms.

DomZ

imported_BluHeaven
06-27-2003, 01:56 PM
DomZ,

I`m up in farmington... the TT is fairly new, I picked it up on the 4th and didnt spend much time driving around ABQ. I know there are quite a few Blue TT`s around that area... but they are the previous years color (Denim blue) which is slightly different. As far as I know, I`m the only ocean/vanilla coupe combo in the state as they normally come with grey interior (yeck!)

I wish I could agree with you on the weather lol.... up here the wind in constantly blowing leaving a nice heavy coat of dust on the car.... Then it will sprinkle and blow some more just enough to make a disgusting mess out of things :(

I wish I could pull into the garage whenever it stormed but this spot is normally occupied. Last week I had to sit and watch as the poor thing got hailed on :(

Maxima... I`m going to give the Griots undercarriage spray a try... never used it before though so we`ll see what happens!

2002 Maxima SE
06-27-2003, 02:39 PM
Maxima... I`m going to give the Griots undercarriage spray a try... never used it before though so we`ll see what happens!

Blue take some before and after pics please. I have been doing some research on that stuff and it seems to be the way to go. Car looks great!

imported_BluHeaven
06-27-2003, 06:00 PM
Well I`ve gotten the rears done !

I made up a bucket of just barely soapy warm water and used that to dampen a MF cloth and scrub down the wheel well to get all the dirt and whatnot off...

then I sprayed everything down with the griots careful not to get it on the paint or the brakes. Let it set a bit and then wiped it down with a MF towel. So far it looks REALLY good! Time will tell how long it will last though

I`ve yet to do the fronts as I only have two jackstands... so I`ll snap a before and after shot on one of those for you. :)