PDA

View Full Version : Hazy/streaky shine after waxing

ragtopgolfer
06-26-2003, 07:03 PM
I`ve waxed a couple of cars this summer using Meguiar`s paste wax #26. After the car is complete I notice that you can see a little haze of wax... its not a perfect buff off or something. I`m trying to troubleshoot the problem and am having no luck.

Thanks fellas.

Rob_K
06-26-2003, 08:13 PM
What did you use before the #26?

What type of cloth are you using?

I had the exact same problem, do a search.

Try using micro fiber towels. With cotton, I was just spreading the oils instead of picking them up giving me a swirl type haze.

forrest@mothers
06-26-2003, 11:20 PM
With waxes that don`t contain any cleaners, a properly prepped surface is a necessity for a good finish.

When was the last time a paint prep (#2 Fine Cut Cleaner in the Mirror Glaze line, to complement your #26) was used?

ragtopgolfer
06-29-2003, 07:24 PM
I`ve never used a prep. So it seems like I need to prep before I wax? Do you think its more so a case of a bad buffing cloth (I`ve been using just good ole` rags.

EBPcivicsi
06-29-2003, 07:29 PM
I would say it is probably the " gold ole rags". However, I have found that when using the #26, it always needs a final QDing to "settle" the wax. Hope this helps.

imported_Larry A
06-29-2003, 10:01 PM
I used liquid #26 over Gold Class liquid on dark green and the paint just glows real wet look.

shaf
06-29-2003, 10:51 PM
I would follow Forrest`s advice. #26 is like the Step 3 of Megs and Mothers systems and doesn`t have any cleaners. It might not turn out too well if you just try waxing with it on unprepped paint. Prep usually means using a polish (and clay preferrably).

This kind of usage is exactly why Megs and Mothers sells their retail pure waxes as part of a numbered, clearly marked system, and why 99% of all waxes you see on Autozone/Pep Boys/etc. shelves are cleaner waxes instead of the pure waxes Autopians prefer....

2wheelsx2
06-29-2003, 11:45 PM
BTDT. When I first started using #26 paste, I thought my sister`s black Integra was pretty clean, so I just applied after a wash. Streaks everywhere. I wiped off as much as I could, and the next week, I clayed the hood and redid it with #26. Nice deep glow, no streaks. Especially with the paste waxes, the finish had better be perfect!:o

forrest@mothers
06-30-2003, 09:59 AM
More ideas:

1) switch to good towels, like microfiber.

2) try lightly spritzing the surface with either a quick detailer or distilled water, and buffing it again to see if the haze disappears. Make sure the surface is cool to the touch.

3) if neither works, try the paint prep on a small area, then wax to see if it helps.

4) PM Mike Phillips and ask for his suggestions.

ragtopgolfer
06-30-2003, 03:51 PM
Wow great advice. Since I`m detailing my neighbors cars I`m wondering if there are any good one step solutions for waxing as I do it for some cheap neighbors, etc.

imported_Intermezzo
06-30-2003, 04:26 PM
Mothers Cleaner Wax

Mothers Reflections Premium Clear Coat Polish/Wax

Mothers Hot Wheels Premium wax

The cleaner wax and reflections are extremely easy to use and leave nice shines. Never tried the HW polish, but according to forrest, it’s also very user friendly and maintains slickness and beading better than Reflections.

All three have mild cleaning ability…making them ideal one-step solutions.

2wheelsx2
06-30-2003, 04:34 PM
I agree with Intermezzo. Those Mother`s one step products are the way to go. Another one would be #20 from Meguiar`s. Polymer based, but has cleaners. Works well.

DeanT
06-30-2003, 04:42 PM
THESANTINI

For someone having a resent post on needing help with a business card design for detailing business it would appear you need to learn a lot more about detailing and business before you jump into detailing for $

P.S. I did design you a card and emailed it to you and you never responded about it in a post or email....oh well I guess you weren`t serious about it and I wasted my time.........

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24638

imported_Smoker
06-30-2003, 05:18 PM
#26 is a pig if you use it direct sunlight or use too much.

Been there, done that, DONT wanna do it again :P

Hence I stick with S100 for the paint and #26 for stuff like door shuts and wheels.