PDA

View Full Version : swirl Help

1badtaco
06-26-2003, 06:57 PM
First of all let me say thank you for their knowledge here.

I have learned alot by reading the boards and the tips section.

But i have problem that many here have tackled already but

with a few more questions. Hopefully you guys are ready to help

me like ive seen you guys do for the others here.

well this past weekend i used sr2.0 also know as meg#9, sec, and s100..... I was hoping the addition of #9 to my lineup would help take care of my swirl/scratch problem. It only helped marginally and i had to work onmy hood for 20 minutes before i saw any effect. the scratches aren`t deep enogh to put my fingernails in so i thought #9 would do the trick.. would dacp help me....btw i am doing this by hand....or should i bite the bullet and get a pc 7424 and stick with #9 or get dacp with the pc......i hope this makes sense.....tia

http://memebers.cox.net/onebadtaco/swirl1

http://memebers.cox.net/onebadtaco/swirl2

1badtaco
06-26-2003, 06:59 PM
here is another attachment i dont know y my pics arent working

Deanski
06-26-2003, 09:12 PM
Time for the PC and DACP. Or you could go the 3M route as well.

Costal Tool has really good prices on polishers!

Regards,

Deanski

1badtaco
06-26-2003, 10:48 PM
so i would just be killin myself by hand i take it?.........ohhh well time for more research on the pc................can sec be used with the pc? also should i go dacp than #9 than sec? or can i skip the #9

1badtaco
06-27-2003, 12:04 PM
can anyone chime in?

will the dacp need to be followed by #9..

furthermore would the dacp be necessary or would the #9 get the job done??

imported_BretFraz
06-27-2003, 01:54 PM
When polishing by hand you typically need a product more aggressive than by machine. You need the product to help remove the swirls and scratches because there is no help from a machine. This is a common error so don`t feel bad.

DACP *might* do the trick but its hard to be definitive. Most of the more experienced detailers would try a couple polishes on a small area to see how they`d work before doing the whole car.

If you`ve got the $$ for a PC, the pads, and some more polishes, then that`s the way to go. But if not you can always apply the polishes by hand.

DACP would be my first suggestion. Its a polish that starts like a fine cut cleaner but buffers to a SMR. You should not need a SMR after using DACP. You can go right to SEC or even to S100 if the paint looks the way you want it. If you get a PC use the yellow cutting pad with the DACP. That combo should work really well.

I`m not guaranteeing the DACP will do the trick so be prepared to go to an even strong polish, like Compound Power Cleaner or Medium Cut Cleaner.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

imported_Tony
06-27-2003, 02:01 PM
Everyone should try to remove swirls by hand at least once. Then you will know why we love our PC`s

good luck

1badtaco
06-27-2003, 02:08 PM
well i`m going to bite the bullet and get the pc from coastal and than i`ll also get the 3 pad set from meguiars......hopefully this is my last question....will the pc and #9 combo work or should i go ahead and get the dacp?

btw thanks for the help you guys....

imported_Tony
06-27-2003, 02:15 PM
IMO: I purchased the 3 pad set and backing plate from Meg a couple of years ago. The pad set at that time consisted of two polishing pads and a finshing pad. The polishing pads are very mild IMO. Do youself a favor and be sure to get a cutting pad.

I like DACP...Meg #9 is very very mild.

1badtaco
06-27-2003, 02:43 PM
i`m hoping that the polishing pads will do the trick....

ok now i have another question....hoping all i need is the polishing pads...would this be a good way to do it dacp with a polishing pad and than sec with a polishing pad followed by the finishing pad and the sec......i`m trying to see if my budget will allow a 200 purchase that will be used 4 times a month vs other things i can usee all the time lol

:edit: ohh well just bought the pc from coastal tools and the dacp and 3 pad pack from meguirs hopefully i will have everything by next weekend(sunday is car cleaning day) woo hoo ill post the after pictures

shaf
06-27-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by bretfraz

When polishing by hand you typically need a product more aggressive than by machine. You need the product to help remove the swirls and scratches because there is no help from a machine. This is a common error so don`t feel bad.

DACP *might* do the trick but its hard to be definitive....... I was going to say the very same thing! :xyxthumbs

If it were me, and I didn`t own a PC yet, I`d at least give it a shot by hand with DACP since swirl remover by hand is pretty mild. It`s probably a good learning experience too. That said, the PC is a very good long-term investment I think. :up

Try #9 with a polishing pad first and see if that works, but you may need to switch to DACP - this works quite well. After DACP you probably only need to use SEC once with either pad. I`m not sure which exactly myself...

Buck-O
06-27-2003, 04:42 PM
On my friends Chrysler Sebring (maroon), i had the same type of swirls...really deep, and extremely visible, but with no definate texture.

I finally got my pads from CMA, and WOW! What a difference they make.

I used the Orange pad with DACP initially, but i had alot of hazing (it seems like the more agressive the swirl makrs, the more hazing it does), then followed up with #9 on a white polishing pad, then SEPC on a white polishing pad, and topped with S100. Turned out SOOOO much better then i expected it would.

4DSC really hit the nail on the head when he says the PC is a good long term investment, i wouldent give it up for anything.