PDA

View Full Version : WHat should I do for a new car?

luvthong
06-26-2003, 05:24 PM
I will take deliver of a new car, what should I do to the paint? I am thinking to use Zaino Bro because the paint should be perfect(near perfect) and I think Zaino Bro should be a good protect to protect it, I am thinking of laying 10 layers and the car should be good to go for a long time. Please advice.

:bow

imported_DetailGirl
06-26-2003, 07:50 PM
Zaino is a great product to use and one that we (FUEL and myself) have had a lot of luck with as with other Autopians. I`m confused of what you mean by taking deliver of a new car. Are you getting a new car and want to know what you should do as far as detailing when you get it? I don`t know how new you are to detailing or if you already plan on doing this, so I`m going to say this anyways just in case. Even if the car is new, there are still many surface contaminantes from the trip from the factory to the dealership. More than likely there`s rail dust on the car and you really want to get that off, and that would mean claying your car. There`s other steps you`ll need to take as well, and should take anyways because again, even though the car is new, you still want to baby it.

10 layers of Zaino might be a little much. I`m not real familiar with the longevity of Zaino and if that many multiple layers (more than like 5 or 6) really makes a difference in the long run after wear and tear of mother nature. So any other Autopians, your comment would be appreciated by me and by luvthong on how many layers is sufficient. But, the main thing, I`d start out by posting the steps you plan on executing to detail your car to give you better help, especially with it being new.

JasonC8301
06-26-2003, 08:07 PM
Its better to put on 10 coats in 2 years than 10 coats in 10 days in terms of longevity.

Most people that layer Zaino go for extra depth and shine.

bunker
06-26-2003, 08:42 PM
A new car!!??:bounce :bounce

Whadja get?? whadja get??

luvthong
06-27-2003, 06:05 PM
Yes, I am getting a new Scion xB for the wife and the coming baby. Please chip in your idea. I am thinking of clay bar it, then , use Z-2 and skip and swirl marks remover.....

JasonC8301
06-27-2003, 06:09 PM
Tell the dealer and make them put it on the paper, not to touch the car. If they wash, polish or wax it, you won`t take delivery.

Set aside a day and pamper your new/wifes new car. Rip off the Rapguard or transit film and wash with a two bucket method. You should have perfect swirl free paint. Then clay and dawn wash, then Zaino away.

Accumulator
06-28-2003, 11:04 AM
I second the "don`t touch it or I`ll refuse delivery". If it`s a light colored vehicle I`d use AutoInt`s ABC system. You can clay during the "B" step. They also sell a product that can help remove the shipping film residue.

imported_FUEL
06-28-2003, 11:10 AM
Again, its surface prep. A lot of products will give great reults but that surface has got to be flawless and squeaky clean!

luvthong
06-30-2003, 06:16 PM
So, do you mean I will drive a new car off the dealer with those plastic white film on it??? Sounds weired.....

JasonC8301
06-30-2003, 06:21 PM
why not arrange with the dealer to work in the shop or on the lot? Bring your supplies with you.

articewhite started a thread about pampering her new Escape a while ago. Ripping off the transit film and all. Then washing and pampering the Escape before driving it off the lot.

the detail boys might learn a thing or two from you while you are there.

You are spending 25K+ for a Scion xB right? Why not let you pamper your car for a few hours, customer satisfaction......

albtsang
06-30-2003, 06:51 PM
Scion xB... cough... cough... fugly.... cough... cough...

I just picked up my car last week and requested that the dealer not detail it. I figured that they would do something, so I told them that it was ok to wash it. So I guess they just washed it and then put it in the showroom in their "delivery" room. It was looking very nice and shiny at the time, but you could see that they didn`t polish it as evidenced by the water spots dripping down from the cracks.

When I got home (after a few days and a few layers of dust), I used Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash, Meguiars Show Car Glaze #7, and Meguiars Hi-Tech Yellow Wax #26... So far only one layer of the wax, but I`ll get around to putting another layer on one of these days. Also, I used a 10" Craftsman Random Orbital with microfiber bonnets and also Turtlewax microfiber towels (cheap at $6 for 3 12x16" towels). In case you are wondering, BMW transports their cars in enclosed trailers (that`s why you never see a BMW on a car transporter).

My Pakshak microfiber towels just got here today and they are off excellent quality. Too bad I didn`t know about the Autopia discount before ordering. So I think I`m a cotton terry cloth to microfiber convert.