PDA

View Full Version : Red Porsche 968 and Poorboys Question

SamIam
06-25-2003, 10:32 PM
Detailed a 95 Red 968. Paint was in terrible shape, the Guards Red looked orange, and a faded orange at that. Used 3m SMR, S100 SEC, and am now waiting for the Poorboy EX to cure. I trashed 1 wool pad, 2 foam cutting pads and 2 polishing pads using the PC to get the shine back.. The paint is not clearcoated and I picked up lotssssss of red paint. My pad is now purple.

QUestion is this, using the EX after cutting and polishing, and both by hand and using the finishing pad on my PC, I picked up some additional paint. Even using a foam applicator by hand, I picked up some paint. If I`m cutting paint, can I really expect to build layers?

I have had great luck with EX and will continue using it, but I am a bit surprised and wonder if indeed I am adding layers or just think I am.

I took pics, but don`t have a digital camera. WIll post them hopefully tomorrow. I usually wonder if people really think their car looks good, or if they are humoring me. This one, I am sure about the result!

SamIam

Lemonxxs
06-26-2003, 08:46 AM
I do not see how you can be layering if you pick up paint on the applicator with each layer either.........

interesting...

ashsarna
06-26-2003, 09:01 AM
I am curious too.

imported_f150smith
06-26-2003, 09:54 AM
Wait til after the EX cures and you buff it off. Then apply a second layer and see if you still pick up red paint. The EX should seal the paint and addditional layers should not pick up any.

I found the same thing on my older custom van without a clearcoat. My pads still appeared to pick up some color til after my first coat of EX, then it stopped. Just my 2 cents worth

SamIam
06-26-2003, 09:58 AM
I applied a 2nd layer and didn`t really much paint pick up, if any, on the second layer, so perhaps it did layer.

I do know this, the car look better to me with the second layer.

SamIam

Poorboy
06-26-2003, 10:21 AM
Yes Sam I would expect that on a non-clearcoated car ...

all wax products have a petroleum distillate to soften the wax, as we know pure carnuba is harder than a candle....so the petroleum distillates will see the paint, especially if there are still some dead pigments on the surface, maybe even left in the polish residue, and lift some color...by the second or third coat by hand there should be no more than a faint trace if any color.

Red pigments(unclearcoated) once oxidized have always been a color for me that I was never sure I got all the oxidation out , ....the red gets looking nice after polishing, but I`ve found you really need to do more until only a trace of color comes of with light buffing...then comes the sealant/wax...

yes we want to see pictures:)

SamIam
06-26-2003, 10:43 AM
Steve,

Thanks for the feedback. This car was definitely oxidized, but after a couple layers of ex, it is again "Guards Red"

The biggest pain was the roof, and then the bumpers, which are red but are the plasticized material. The roof took alot of work to get a shine, and the plastic material seems to make the bumpers tough to get to the proper level of shine.

By the way, I saw Anthony Orosco say he like doing Porsches, I now know why. Other than the fact they are beautiful cars and look great when detailed, they only have 2 door jambs! Much better than a sedan or van!

Sam

Poorboy
06-26-2003, 11:09 AM
Sam,

this customer should also be reminded to get it detailed more often to prevent the oxidation from reoccuring..once you see that orange tint to the paint ..the pigment is starting to fail if it hasn`t already...

YOU MUST MAKE HIM INTO AN AUTOPIAN:D

69Stang
06-26-2003, 11:20 AM
would love to see pics and compare them to my Guards red car...