PDA

View Full Version : Best way to remove swirls from new car

GScott
06-25-2003, 10:20 PM
I recently took delivery of my new black Z4 and it has some swirls and scratches. The dealer offered to have them buffed out but I`m not sure I want to let them.

Would I be better off buying a PC and doing it myself? I`ve done some research and I am considering getting the PC 7336 and some white and grey pads from CMA. I was planning on using 3M`s FI-III MG and then doing my AIO/SG/S100 regimen. I understand the PC`s are "safe" but is it wise for me to do this on my new car?

Should I trust the dealer to buff the marks out? I assume they could make it worse.

Thanks.

Gary

KCPreki11
06-25-2003, 10:55 PM
You could always tell the dealer you want a pro to come in and do it. But I say buy the PC and try yourself, you can`t mess up that bad plus I guarantee you`ll thank your self down the road for buying it.

gnahc79
06-25-2003, 11:59 PM
dealers can be hit or miss. Usually it`s a miss, though. Ask around (here, online bimmer forums) about the dealership in question regarding their detailing skills.

since your car 1) is new 2) nice :) and 3) BLACK and you`re kinda new to the PC, I would not advise trying anything out on your beloved Z4. You can get your swirls fixed professionally or get used to the PC on another "victim" auto. good luck!

Fr0zen
06-26-2003, 12:25 AM
Well if you paid 40,000 for your Z4 then go back and tell them you want the paint perfect.

I would still get the pc you cant do any damage to the paint with that machine. also try the menzerna products from CMA. Menzerna Intensive and Finial Polish should get the swirls out of a new car with no trouble. Hope this helps enjoy

Deanski
06-26-2003, 09:11 AM
Go back to the dealer and ask for a shop that uses 3M products to resolve this. See if you can view any of their work prior. You purchased the car from the dealer, now let them show how well they do on customer service!

My Lexus dealer did same on my new `03 SC430... Swirls galore!

I`m using #9 and or DACP depending on how bad they are with a PC.

My advise after you get it to the way you wanted it is to invest in one of the paint protection film vendors, ie: Amorglove, Xpel, Stoneguard etc and have it done B4 you get chipped by rocks. You cannot see the thing unless your right over the hood area. Great for headlights, no more sandblasting the lens!

I had my car done, and it`s the best investment! Several years, I`ll have it removed/replaced if I keep the car.

Good luck, and let us know what the dealer will do for you to make you happy!!

Regards,

Deanski

imported_Smoker
06-26-2003, 10:22 AM
I wouldnt restrict myself to just 3m products.

Some of the Mezerna or Megs abrasives are awesomely good.

I use Diamond Cut and DACP a fair amount and am impressed with results from both.

With a new vehicle theyll prolly remove every swirl and scratch on there.

GScott
06-26-2003, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the info. So the consensus is to not try the PC myself. I`ll investigate what method they would use to buff out the scratches but I`m still not sure I trust the dealer to do it.

If I decide to tackle this myself any advice?

Also, since I`m assuming the scratches are probably on the light side are there any hand polishes out there that would do the trick?

Thanks

Gary