PDA

View Full Version : I Need Help!

Gadfly
06-25-2003, 12:45 PM
I just got delivery of a PC and the Meg set of three pads. I have both DACP and 3M SMR.

My dilemma: Which pad with which product?

My black Hyundai Santa Fe was delivered last November and I have been trying to take care of the finish. I just finished claying and using Mother`s Pre-Wax Cleaner. The finish doesn`t look too bad! Some minor mars here and there plus a very light scratch or two. The finish is orange peel all over.

Guys, which pad with which product? :nixweiss

P.S. I also have a Meg 8" polishing pad. Can I use it with my 5" backing plate?

2wheelsx2
06-25-2003, 12:48 PM
If the scratches and swirls are minimal, you should use the yellow (polishing) pad for both. The cutting pad would be used for severe swirls or heavy oxidation, and may leave some fine scratches which will then be polished out with the yellow pad with DACP or SMR. The finishing pad is not really good for anything other than applying waxes and sealants.

With regards to the orange peel, this is a paint defect which most new vehicles have to some degree, and cannot be polished out. The paint needs to be wetsanded if you`re willing to go that route.

shaf
06-25-2003, 02:09 PM
There you go! :xyxthumbs

Scratches will probably have to be worked by hand with a good cloth (or sponge?) and DACP or something a bit heavier maybe. Unless there is many scratches all in one spot it`s best not to try and PC them out.

I suppose you could use the 8" pad, but it might not grip as well if you use a lot of pressure and it might vibrate more at higher speeds.

imported_Tony
06-25-2003, 02:26 PM
When I purchased the three pad set with the backing plate from Meguiars, the set did not come with a cutting pad. The meg. polishing pads are very mild and do not cut well. The meg polishing pads are good for AIO,cleaners, maybe even #9 but for cutting ( swirls removal) a cutting pad would be a big help.

good luck