PDA

View Full Version : More on Dupont Sontara SPS detailing/polishing cloths>> CD test

Pages : [1] 2

imported_BluHeaven
06-24-2003, 11:40 PM
After seeing the post on here and most of the replies being `never seen or heard of those` I tracked some down at a local paint and body supply place.

I got the bag of 50 for 6.05 tax included :)

The entire package fit neatly into my towel organizer as well (sorry no pictures right now... its a 6 drawer tower from target)

Anyways! I`m not detailing the car till thursday but i had a scratch test CD laying around and thought I`d give them a try...

test 1: light to no pressure

no marring at all

test 2: medium pressure

no marring or scratching

test 3: heavy pressure with vigarous scrubbing!

very very very light micro marring, no scratches though

anyone scrubbing on their car like I did on the CD in test 3 prolly deserves marring anyways lol

for comparison..

same test, CMA magic towel

test 1:

light micro marring

test 2:

medium marring and light scratches

test 3:

might as well use it as a coaster... heavy marring and scratches

and autopia CBT

test 1:

no marring or scratches

test 2:

light micro marring

test 3:

medium to heavy marring

everything else I had produced medium to heavy marring and scratches even with light pressure :(

I think we have a winna here though! Will report back on how they perform for actual buffing and detail work though... The clear bra will be the real test... breathe on it funny and it scratches

shaf
06-25-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by BluHeaven

I got the bag of 50 for 6.05 tax included :)

What?!? No way! :eek: With CD test results like that? :confused:

50 for $6 is like "bag o` rags" territory! What are they stated as being made from? Are they all the same or are they a mixed variety odds `n ends multicolour assortment? I`m assuming these are flat cloths and not terry-style right?

Thanks, this is interesting...

imported_BluHeaven
06-25-2003, 01:40 PM
its a rayon/poly blend...

they are flat cloths... not terry... and they are all identical. Almost like a cross between paper towels and gauze? Its a very odd fabric

heres a picture from another post

http://www.zjstech.net/~library/2161/Detail%20Cloths/detailclothspackage.jpg

shaf
06-25-2003, 02:22 PM
Gee that bag is much "neater" looking than what I was expecting :D - thanks.

Well we know Du Pont is a very well respected company, and if they sell these things and they say it will not scratch and you say it will not scratch.....

:)

Someone mentioned they`re not washable, but for that price...

Here`s the other thread for anyone wondering: http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24837&highlight=sontara

Magellan498
01-27-2004, 04:03 PM
I must chime in with my experience with these cloths and this business!

First off, the cloths themselves are amazing! I definitely will never let another MF touch the paint on my car after using these. The difference is MF to terry cotton. D@mn near impossible to induce scratches with these cloths (yes, I tried so you don`t have to).

As for Dupont, they are a great company. The people from the Sontara dept. are extremely helpful and accommodating. I don`t know if they think I`m the owner of some HUGE business or they are this nice to everyone, but they get 5 stars for the customer service and the samples. I encourage everyone to try these things. One of the best products I`ve added to my arsenal. :up

Horseman2475
01-27-2004, 05:51 PM
Is there a website where you can purchase them? Cant get them around here.

imported_BretFraz
01-27-2004, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the reminder!! :up

I was almost out so I stopped at my local auto body joint and picked up another pack. $5.62+tax.

2wheelsx2
01-27-2004, 06:37 PM
Dang! Sounds very interesting. Brian, or any other Canucks, do we have a source for these?

rstype
01-27-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Magellan498

First off, the cloths themselves are amazing! I definitely will never let another MF touch the paint on my car after using these.

Interesting, interesting. Do you use them to wipe off abrasive polishes? I can`t imagine replacing MF`s with these for drying an entire car. What else do you use the Sontaras for?

Horseman2475
01-27-2004, 08:10 PM
If you cant buy them, you dont have to worry what to use them on.

jimmybuffit
01-27-2004, 08:37 PM
Curious website.

I`m sold! At least I want to TRY the product.

I have no idea of where to buy.

Shame on them... they have a HUGE agency doing their marketing, they made the site look good, but they forgot to give us an opportunity to order.

Call an 800 number? How 90s!

I`m cranky.

Jim

ntoddalbert
01-27-2004, 08:49 PM
They are pushing these heavily in aviation, I got a few packs of free samples a while back from a dist and never opened them.

After this thread I will be sure to give them a try next warm day ( Maybe in 90 days!)

Magellan498
01-27-2004, 09:06 PM
Yea, it is a bit annoying to have to call in to get locations, but you can either talk to the people there (again, they are VERY helpful) or just leave a message with your email address or something. Unlike a few places I`ve dealt with, they actually check their messages...

Oh yea, and yes you use them to remove polish residue or wax residue. I wouldn`t suggest drying with them. :D Unless you usually use napkins. :)

jmsc
01-27-2004, 09:37 PM
Are ppl testing on a CD using a qd, wax, polish or is it in the dry?

If I use GEPC polish for instance on a CD, I don`t see much marring (under halogens) using any of my mf`s (Miracle, Yosteve, Pakshak, DFT, CBT, UDT, Sontara, 3M, Meguiar`s, Elite, Viper Perfect, Viper Power etc...).

shaf
01-27-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by 2wheelsx2

Dang! Sounds very interesting. Brian, or any other Canucks, do we have a source for these? I don`t know yet Gary. I kind of let this one slide because I didn`t have a compelling use for them yet, but I`m sure there`s got to be a way to find these around here somewhere. I mean, it`s DuPont. ;)

Personally I`m not going to bother looking until it starts getting warmer - I don`t need more cool stuff lying around the house laughing at me while I wait the winter out.