PDA

View Full Version : washing after SMR

optimsprym
06-24-2003, 06:37 PM
Do you need to wash with dawn after using SMR or can i just put on AIO right after?

Jngrbrdman
06-24-2003, 06:54 PM
You can go straight for the AIO. Unless your car is dirty then you don`t need to worry about washing it.

Spilchy
06-24-2003, 06:56 PM
You`ll rack your brain on this one. Half the responses will say wash and the other half will say don`t wash!

I asked the EXACT same question about washing after SMR and I got nowhere (as far as a definitive answer - but I thank everyone for the input). I guess if you have two cars, you can try it both ways on each and see if you find difference. Just a thought.

Good luck. I`d be curious to see what is mentioned this time around.

(I see JNGR responded in the time I was writing this. He is the AIO guru so I`d follow his advice ;) )

2wheelsx2
06-24-2003, 07:02 PM
If you are going to wax or use a sealant with cleaners in it like AIO, then I would say no need to wash. If you are going to put Z, or some other sealant without cleaners, then I would say wash it again.

Bonding isn`t an issue with waxes, and the fillers in SMR will enhance the look of the paint. But with some polymers like Z, the oils and fillers in SMR will affect the bonding.

tkr128
06-24-2003, 07:13 PM
There`s really no need to wash, I only wash mine to get rid of the oils in order to use Zaino. I also don`t like the amount of dust it leaves all over the car when I`m finished with SMR, so I wash. It`s really up to you, if you think your car is dirty and needs a wash, by all means, wash it. If you don`t see the need to wash it, don`t wash it. :)

Patrick
06-24-2003, 07:29 PM
Ive used SMR with Platinum or Blackfire and havent experienced any problems.....

Jngrbrdman
06-24-2003, 07:33 PM
Its usually just a Zaino thing. Zaino needs a pretty clean surface to bond properly. It certianly won`t affect AIO because AIO is a cleaner product and it will just strip off the oils and fillers anyway. I`ve never had trouble with BF or Platinum bonding to SMR either, but the last time I tried using those over SMR was when their formulas weren`t that durable anyway so it would be hard to say if the SMR first affected the bonding. Either way, AIO over SMR is safe because it will clean off anything that may cause bonding issues for SG or whatever you are going to use on top of AIO. :up

optimsprym
06-24-2003, 09:49 PM
Thanks folks..good responses. Jngr..ive noticed you answer just about everyones questions, so thanks for all the input for us "newbies"..haha