PDA

View Full Version : Getting Car back from the BodyShop

Robb
06-24-2003, 12:47 PM
Thursday im go ing to be picking u p my car from the shop, what things should i look for before i pay them? They replaced the hood, fender, bumper and then they `blended` all the areas areound what they replaced, can someone explain orange peel to me so i can be on the lookout for that, what other things should i look for? Thanks

meGrimlock
06-24-2003, 02:14 PM
Make sure the car is out in bright sun light so you can see any paint defects. If they blended the paint, check for hologram swirls left by a rotary buffer. Orange peel is basically just what it sounds like; When paint is sprayed on the car and there is moisture in the air line, the moisture will cause the paint to have an uneven surface that looks like the peel of an orange. Don`t sign anything until you are satisfied with the quality of their work. Oh, make sure that all joints in the sheetmetal are even, and that the hood sits level. Be extremely picky, after all, you don`t want to drive home in a car with a sub-par repair job.

shaf
06-24-2003, 03:30 PM
Also, check it thoroughly for pieces of LINT embedded in the paint. Don`t ask.... :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, check for signs of overspray too. Like inside the door jambs and on the windows and trim.

bunker
06-24-2003, 05:37 PM
If the car`s original paint is metallic, make sure the new paint contains the same amount of metallic in it. The painter (mixer) can control this. It should match.

Check the edges of the panel. The paint should be smooth around the edges. The seam around the panel should line up and be even around the panel. Make sure trim is aligned.

Most importantly, take your time. Examine the complete job. You don`t have the except the car if you are not COMPLETELY satisfied. (Don`t return your rental until you check out the car).

Accumulator
06-25-2003, 10:08 AM
Basically, what the others have said. In addition, look inside the door jambs, under the hood, etc., looking not ONLY for overspray, but for "masking lines". This is where they ran their masking tape. The paint they sprayed will be a thick layer along this line and it`s harder to fix than simple overspray.

Look around (and at) the headlights (if the headlights were involved, were they aligned?) and openings for the grill. Look VERY carefully at your windshield, even though it wasn`t involved in the repairs (things happen in shops). Check your tires and suspension for overspray. Look INSIDE the wheel well of the fender they did and compare it with the original on the other side.

As IndigoGTI said, "orange peel" is texture in the paint`s surface. The texture of the new paint (if any) should be the same as that of the original paint. And as bunker said, the parts they painted should look EXACTLY like the original paint. Look at it from numerous angles to make sure the color/metallic effect matches and that there aren`t buffer marks. Ask them about what glazes they might have used that might be covering such marks. And ask when it`ll be safe to wax the repainted areas.

Make sure they didn`t get sloppy on the underside of the hood (look under the insulation if you have it). Make sure your HVAC intake area isn`t filled with bodyshop debris (and cycle through heat/vent/AC/defrost to make sure your ducts aren`t filled with it). Look for those masking lines I mentioned and overspray and missing/incorrect fasteners (and for fasteners that were incorrectly coated with paint). Check the hinges, latch, and related springs. Be sure the hood release works properly and that the hood closes as it should. Make sure your washer lines/nozzles are as they should be. If you have a rubber airdam under the bumper, check it out.

You`re looking for ANYTHING that isn`t perfect, or like the car was originally. REALLY (!) take your time. There`s always a tendency to miss something until the first time you detail, and then it`s usually too late (although a GOOD shop will stand behind its work). And yes, LEAVE IT THERE if you`re not completely satisfied.

Robb
06-25-2003, 10:30 AM
Thanks Guys, i really appreciate ur help, i called the shop again yesterday to see what day this week i could pick it up, because i was told it would be ready late this week, and they said now it will be early next week, oh well....also i was looking on thier website and it said they do a final `detail`,in the pic it showed them using chamois`s and power sprayers, not what i normally would want used on my paint, should i call them and tell them not to do this, Thanks Again