PDA

View Full Version : Faded/white bloom on Red VW Gold 1995

mleggatt
06-24-2003, 07:13 AM
Apologies if this has been posted before but I have looked on here and

don`t seem to find a definitive anwser.

I have what I think is a "Tornado Red" VW Golf 1995. The paintwork is in fairly good condition but seems to have a very slight haze over the whole car which is not visible when the car is wet and is removed by polishing with Autoglym Super resin polish (which I do regularly). However the back quarter panel has an almost white bloom on it which is removed by several applications of Super resin polish or as I used once T cut (and then super resin polish). This white bloom/fade dissapears on washing and polishing this area but within about 2-3 weeks this fade re-appears. I have tried Colurmagic wax on it, Mer and Autoglym super resin

polish but it seems to re-appear. I have seen this on several other VW`s and also some other makes of car and read that red is the worst colour for fading (did not know this when I bought car!!).

My question is, is there any more permanent way of keeping this part of the car looking shiny and colourful apart from respraying it. Can I use some sort of commercial product on it? I have read on here that some people suggest using a polish and then a Carnuba wax. I thought Autoglym super resin polish was a polish and a wax? Apologies for my ignorance as I am new to car detailing and from reading here it appears that I need to first polish the car, to remove this oxidation and then Wax the car. Question is what products do I use for this?

Also I have seen that the polishes waxes e.t.c that are used depend on whether the paint has a clearcoat on it? I am not sure if my car has this, how do i tell?

If someone could recommend a method and or products (that are available in the UK or by mail order) for removing this fade I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance