PDA

View Full Version : What gives Collinite this outstanding durability?

Bassinmax
06-23-2003, 09:10 PM
I`m using Collinite 476 as well as Blitz.

Just wondering, why can a carnauba paste wax (Collinite) last for a year?

Are there any kind of polymers/resins/silicones or any super mega-additives in it?

CRXSi90
06-24-2003, 09:25 PM
no ideas?

JasonC8301
06-24-2003, 09:30 PM
No comment thats suitable to post here :D

shaf
06-25-2003, 12:56 PM
Often "carnauba" waxes are blended with polymer stuff, like Meguiar`s #26 for example, which is also a fairly durable wax. I would imagine that`s the reason since I don`t think pure carnauba by itself would hold up too well to the elements and be "detergent-proof". I`m just guessing of course.... :nixweiss

unclearty
06-25-2003, 01:02 PM
I used Collinite Paste Fleetwax on Thursday night. One observation is: It seems harder to QD my car now. That morning dew that used to just wipe off with a MF, now seems to take 4 or 5 wipes...it leaves a kind of "fog" on the surface. With UPP, I could just barely wipe the surface and it would be clean and dry. Even using QuickShine takes a little longer.

I have AIO and 2X UPP with Fleetwax as topper. It does look mighty good...just not sure I want to QD as much as it seems to need now.

spotter
06-25-2003, 01:18 PM
When I use the Collinite #915 I always have topped it with S100 about once a month and then I have had no problems at all using QuikShine as a QD whenever I needed it.

Spilchy
06-25-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by unclearty

I used Collinite Paste Fleetwax on Thursday night. One observation is: It seems harder to QD my car now. That morning dew that used to just wipe off with a MF, now seems to take 4 or 5 wipes...it leaves a kind of "fog" on the surface. With UPP, I could just barely wipe the surface and it would be clean and dry. Even using QuickShine takes a little longer.

I have AIO and 2X UPP with Fleetwax as topper. It does look mighty good...just not sure I want to QD as much as it seems to need now.

Wow, talk about armor for your car! :D

Would like to see a pic, especially with the Collinite as a topper ;)

I haven`t heard of people using Collinite as a topper on this board. It`s always s100.

dr427
06-26-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by ruangvith

I`m using Collinite 476 as well as Blitz.

Just wondering, why can a carnauba paste wax (Collinite) last for a year?

Are there any kind of polymers/resins/silicones or any super mega-additives in it?

I`m no chemist, but best I can gather is that possibly it has Amino-Funcitional Silicones which apparantly "Bite" better. If I understand it correctly, it is these that make good sealants last longer. The guys at Collinite either don`t know or don`t care to comment. I`ve asked and didn`t receive much of a response.

:nixweiss

From what I have read most layer OVER Collinite simiply because S100 has better optical clarity to it. I feel, unless your an Autopian or see them side by side Collinite looks great to the normal person. If S100 has better optical clarity to it then wouldn`t Collinite act like a film between the surface and the S100?:bounce I`ve always wondered that for those that layer Carnauba on Carnauba?

imported_f150smith
06-26-2003, 10:41 PM
I`m no expert on this either but IMO, I think it is due to the higher content of pure carnauba wax in there formula. If you do any research on carnuba you will discover that by itself it is so hard that it would be almost impossible to use. All variarions of "pure carnuba wax" are acutally blends of various mixes which include bees wax, a softer wax and other chemicals and oils which make it easier to work and apply. Each of the components in a wax provide different properties all of which comprise and/or compliment each other. Souveran and some of the Zymols(sp) have various oils added which give them smell and make them easier to apply and buff off. Polymers are added as well which provide other features which might make them last longer and may even put them in the class of a wax/synthetic blend.

Just my "SWAG" !!!!!