PDA

View Full Version : My weekend with GEPC/#7/#20/#26

ntwrkguy1
06-23-2003, 04:25 PM
Here`s the way I spent my weekend.......well, not the whole weekend, but a lot of it! I drive a 2001 Ford Taurus SES with a 24V Duratec. It`s been a good car, and given my habit for changing cars every six months, it`s received the maximum amount of detailing. The car is Harvest Gold, and the paint was in really great shape when I bought it last October.

Recently, I had exchanged some emails with 2hotford on Mike Phillip`s site concerning the use of Meguiar`s #7. I`ve had #7 on the shelf for a while, and honestly haven`t really used it on my car or any customer`s cars. My typical routine is DACP/GEPC/P21S, which yields consistently great results.

2hotford told me that I should try following GEPC with a #7/#20/#26 treatment. He indicated that the #26 would really bring out the color of my car. Well, I washed the car, then did a quick pass with GEPC, and followed with #7 by hand. The car was looking good, and then I followed it up with #20, which is the first time I`ve used it on this car. The #20 went on sooooo easy, and seemed to add a little bit of depth. I left the car overnight, then hit it with two coats of #26, just in case I missed any spots. Saturday, the sun was shining, and so was the Taurus. The depth of shine is noticeably different from the P21S treatment I usually give the car, though admittedly the P21S is much easier to apply.

The before pics may not look much different, but I`ll post before/after pics in my gallery as soon as my pics are done (yes, I`m buying a 4mp digital camera THIS WEEK! :) All in all, the Meguiar`s sequence really brought out the gold color. The gloss is definitely higher, and hopefully the #20 will stick around longer than the P21S!.

-DavidM

ps A quick explanation of the numbers above (and they are all Meguiar`s products) for anyone who doesn`t know them already:

#7 -- Meguiar`s #7 Show Car Glaze

#20- Meguiar`s #20 Polymer Sealant

#26 -- Meguiar`s #26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax

GEPC -- Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser, from P21S

DACP-- Meguiar`s Dual Action Cleaner Polish

2wheelsx2
06-23-2003, 05:22 PM
Wow, you really overkilled on the cleaning step. The paint should have been spotless when you were done.

DACP is a cleaner polish

GEPC is a cleaner

#20 has mild cleaners

:)

Good work though. Did the #7 remain under the #20? I would have thought the cleaners in #20 would have removed the #7.

Pats300zx
06-23-2003, 06:12 PM
:showpics

Can`t wait to see how pics on how it turned out....

ntwrkguy1
06-23-2003, 11:19 PM
2Wheels,

#7 seems to have stayed put under the #20. Time will tell, I guess!

Pats300zx,

I PROMISE as soon as I get the pics I`ll post them! Agreed, nothing worse than a `visual` post with no pics. But you`ll regret it once I pick up my digital camera, because then I`ll be posting pics of EVERYTHING I do! :)

-DavidM

Tim Lingor
06-24-2003, 12:25 AM
Hey Dave!

I am glad to hear that the car turned out so well!!

As to the #20`s cleaners, these are very mild; used more for bonding than cleaning in the usual sense of the word. I have for a long time (15 years+) used the #7 followed by the #20 and had no problems doing so. I just love what that combo does!!

Again, I am very happy that your car turned out so well!!

Cheers!

Tim

Jeroen
06-24-2003, 02:55 AM
Sounds great. I`m looking forward to give Meg`s #9, #7 and #26 a try on my car soon:)