PDA

View Full Version : Lookie what Service King did!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

meGrimlock
06-23-2003, 04:09 PM
A friend of mine has had his Maxima at Service King in Frisco to have the bumper repainted three times. The first two times the paint bubbled almost immediately after he had picked it up. No washing, nothing touching the paint between delivery and when the paint failed. The bumper is finally done, and the paint has not bubbled yet. It isn`t the best job, but he is tired of habing to deal with sub-par customer service, and workmanship. Well when he got home after picking up the car, he had me come out and look at the hood, and this is what Service King left as a present: http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/4601amy_hood_2.jpg

Now you have to realize that at no time did Service King repaint the hood or any other surrounding metal. The bumper was the only thing they touched. Also, the chalky area in the center of the hood may look like clearcoat failure, it is only residue of some kind, it wipes off with water.

Now, I will be using 3M PI-II FCRC and a Megs yellow pad with my PC. Will this be aggressive enough, or will I be there all day trying to remove the hologram swirls? Is there anything more aggressive that I can use without worry of obliterating the clear coat? I will probably start working on the car this weekend, any advice would be appreciated.

In summary, Service King in Frisco = BAD. I was happy with the PDR they did on my wife`s Jetta, but that was only because it was free (basically because of the above mishap), and they didn`t have to do any paint work. That and the PDR they use is contract work from an outside company.

imported_BretFraz
06-23-2003, 04:31 PM
Those swirls actually look like an artistic statement. Ya know, man struggling to maintain control over the swirling, spinning techno-world he`s created for himself. It could be a cry for help. :idea

Or not. Whatever. :doh

I`d think FCRC and a yellow pad would be a good starting point. Prolly better to do 2 applications of that instead of using something harsher which could damage the thin clearcoat. Crank up the speed and use some pressure. Should be OK.

getfit74
06-23-2003, 04:35 PM
I can almost see it from the marring alone. A High speed poisher with a way to aggressive polish or a dry pad turned on its edge. Makes me cringe.

meGrimlock
06-23-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by bretfraz

Those swirls actually look like an artistic statement. Ya know, man struggling to maintain control over the swirling, spinning techno-world he`s created for himself. It could be a cry for help. :idea

Or not. Whatever. :doh

I`d think FCRC and a yellow pad would be a good starting point. Prolly better to do 2 applications of that instead of using something harsher which could damage the thin clearcoat. Crank up the speed and use some pressure. Should be OK.

LMAO!

Thanks for confirming what I thought. I also have FI-II Machine Polish which IIRC is a little less aggressive. After compounding I will follow with #7 and #26, we`ll have to see how it turns out.

boywonder
06-23-2003, 05:20 PM
Geez! They swirled the hell out of that GXE! I wonder if DACP and a yellow pad would get that out.

imported_Aurora40
06-23-2003, 06:36 PM
:eek: :scared

Fr0zen
06-23-2003, 06:49 PM
For that I would get #4 Heavy Duty Ultra Cut compound DACP will take alot of passes on that.

TortoiseAWD
06-23-2003, 07:49 PM
I`ve removed buffer swirls similar to that with Finesse-It II and a yellow cutting pad. There may be a lot of scratches, but it`s not the quantity that counts (IMO), it`s the depth of the marring. If the scratches are seriously deep, then yeah, it`ll take a more agressive approach; however, the couple of times I`ve tackled swirls from a rotary that looked like that, they weren`t deep, just all over the place, and in a pattern that gives that "holographic" effect.

I think the best advice is one of the forum "truisms": start with your least agressive polish and work your way up. You`ll know after a couple of passes with a polish if it`s not going to get the job done . . . then is the time to step up to heavier compounds.

Tort

Fr0zen
06-23-2003, 08:11 PM
By the way I dont want to Hi-Jack the Thread But I just Picked up DACP Today i got a rotary with yellow pad im used to the menzerna Line what are the correct steps to applying DACP and getting the best results.

Spilchy
06-23-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Fr0zen

By the way I dont want to Hi-Jack the Thread But I just Picked up DACP Today i got a rotary with yellow pad im used to the menzerna Line what are the correct steps to applying DACP and getting the best results.

ROTFLMAO! :lol :lol :rofl :rofl

You rascal! You always wiggle your way in with your DACP questions! Thank god you finally found it locally!

I`m sorry, I just find it comical (along with the run on sentences.) I can imagine how excited you are!

If you do a search, you`ll find PLENTY of answers to your question. If not, start a new thread and people will be happy to chime in!

Back to that Maxima. As soon as I saw it, I thought of PrinzII. I can see his face contorting into all sorts of painful expressions! :D

Fr0zen
06-23-2003, 09:23 PM
HeHe the run on`s are because I get so exited I sometimes forget the peroids. Then I get nagged so now I always check twice but sometimes still forget and have to edit my own posts.

Im done with the DACP That local Store had all the meguiars BSP Products they make. But im really looking for engine Kote and Finial Detail Since my EF Clear Pearl is running out.

LDPaul
06-23-2003, 10:45 PM
I will have to tell my customers about that since I do a lot of work in Frisco and Plano. That is nasty!

Scottwax
06-24-2003, 12:00 AM
I`d be sitting in jail right now for retaliation if that was my car.

Scott301
06-24-2003, 12:20 AM
(Sigh of relief)........somebody actually has a worse paint problem than I do. :) Sorry but I feel better now.

Brad

ultrajim49
06-24-2003, 12:50 AM
My avatar says:

"Mister, put that rotary down and step away from that car.

you`re busted"

:D

Christiaan