PDA

View Full Version : QD/Quick Wash Questions....

nonwelder
06-22-2003, 09:24 PM
I have what I would call a thin coat of dust on my car....Would it be safer to use a QD, Poorboy`s quick wash, or nothing? Just don`t want to mar the finish.

Brett

chris0626
06-22-2003, 10:18 PM
I`d use the California Car Duster, then QD.

Mr. Clean
06-22-2003, 10:50 PM
Poorboy`s Spray & Wipe, IMO, would be the way to go. You can then QD, or try mixing your favorite QD with the S&W and eliminate a step. Thanks and kudos again to the Big E for the idea:xyxthumbs

Perhaps an even better alternative to the CCD is one of DFTowel`s Concours towels. You can toss the CCD after you get one of these.

blitz-teg
06-22-2003, 10:50 PM
be careful with the duster. It can cause swirls it used improperly. I had bad experiences with them. If its just light dust it might not be a problem though

shaf
06-22-2003, 11:42 PM
Run a search on the CCD. Most people seem to love it, as do I. Just follow the great usage tips that people use. Carguy has done a really thorough test on this tool and it convinced me to (finally) buy one. I don`t know how I`d do without it!

Using the CCD before QDing OR Poorboy`s would be best since it takes care of 95% of the dust for you so you don`t have to wipe it off. This, IMHO, is the way to quick detail.

ashsarna
06-23-2003, 09:58 AM
4DSC and Lynn, I totally agree with you guys!!

I use CCD (great and no scratches) then S&W from Poorboy. Sometimes I use S&W alone :up .

imported_Intermezzo
06-23-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Clean

Perhaps an even better alternative to the CCD is one of DFTowel`s Concours towels. You can toss the CCD after you get one of these.

Clean, how do you dust with the MF towel? Just wipe the towel lightly all over the car? Also, have you tried this with any other MF towel?

Mr. Clean
06-23-2003, 12:17 PM
Intermezzo

First, good to see you posting again.

Second, not as much of a wiping motion as just making the lightest passes possible; holding the towel just on the surface. I bought the DFTowel product specifically for this purpose. It performs as expected. I will say that I only use this method with the lightest of dust situations. IMO, it is better to err on the cautious side than to create unnecessary work for yourself.

Third, no not for dusting. I do like MicroFiberTech`s Elite towel when I use Poorboy`s S&W for heavier dust/dirt removal. I essentially use the same procedure when making my first pass; allowing the towel to just touch the surface. I then follow with a wipe down.

As for 4DSC`s thoughts that the CCD before QD or S&W being a safer process, I disagree. IMO the S&W product particularly provides additional lubrication to the surface reducing the potential for surface marring.

imported_Intermezzo
06-23-2003, 12:31 PM
Clean, thanks!

I`ll try the dusting when I get a chance....I have a few DF towels laying around somewhere. Also, this S&W stuff is really intrigueing...gotta try it out sometime.

Mr. Clean
06-23-2003, 01:13 PM
Intermezzo

I`m sure you will master the technique quickly.

As for the S&W, I can`t recommend it highly enough. It seems to be a very versatile product. Whether you use it straight out of the bottle, or dilute it with water or a QD. Use it on your windshield, buff with a MF.

imported_Intermezzo
06-27-2003, 03:38 PM
Hi Clean,

My order for S&W just arrived and I plan to try it out this weekend. Which method do you like best...diluted or undiluted? Is lubricity still good when diluted with water?

Mr. Clean
06-27-2003, 04:19 PM
Intermezzo

That is such a cool ID! :cool:

I`m not sure how many bottles of the S&W you got, but I keep several bottles at full dilution, 1 bottle @ 50/50 mix with distilled water, and another bottle in my trunk with a couple of MFs mixed @ 40/60 QD (Mother`s Showtime, I since have acquired PB`s QD+ and will be trying that soon) and S&W.

Do I have a favorite? Yes...no...yes...no... I don`t know. My suggestion would be start first with the mixture straight out of the bottle as Steve sent it. Get to know its feel. It has a pleasing scent and very good to excellent lubricity. Then assuming you have only one 16 oz bottle, after you have used half of the bottle fill it up with distilled water. If you like the product as I do, then you will feel compelled to purchase more bottles and you can experiment with a QD mixture. I think you use CK`s QuikShine don`t you?

I think you will find it to be an outstanding product on glass. I use it for those times when the car is just beyond using the DFTowel and just under QEW condition. Though I think there are several out there which have undertaken much tougher tasks. I don`t have any/much chrome, but ColaBear likes it for that. Really it is one of my most versatile detailing tools. Let me/us know what you think of the product.

imported_Intermezzo
06-27-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Clean

Intermezzo

That is such a cool ID! :cool:

Hehe, thanks! And thanks for the info on S&W. Yes, I still have some QS left. Gonna have to order some more soon though. I bought a 32 oz bottle of the S&W. I`ll try it both ways...straight up & diluted with QD.

I don`t have any chrome on my car, but I do have a semi-ricey catback exhaust on one of my cars. Sounds like the perfect product to clean it with!

I`ll let you know how everything goes.

Have a great detailing weekend!

imported_jgv
06-27-2003, 04:52 PM
This is exactly how I use it, when the car has dust from a day or two. Spray it one section at the time, let it seat from 10 to 30 sec, light pass with a MF, buff with a new one. Just this night I did it again, when two nights ago I QEW`d the car. Great stuff :xyxthumbs