PDA

View Full Version : When should you moisten PC pads?

Spilchy
06-22-2003, 05:00 PM
When do you moisten your pads for your polisher? For example, I noticed on CMA`s website, they moistened their compounding pads with water.

Do any of you do this for DACP or SMR?

If you moisten your pad, what products are you doing that for? I know its done for AIO, but what about compounds or polishes?

Thanks.

imported_FUEL
06-22-2003, 05:22 PM
Here is what I did today. I started with the PC a CMA yellow pad. It sucked. I dont like using the PC except for applying s100 SEC or VM. So I got out the rotary and a CMA white pad with DACP. I sprited it with Clearkote Qwikshine. Then after a section I took it to the hose and sprayed it off. Then put it back on the rotary and truned it up as high as it goes to get all the water out but it was still damp. Then I went on and did another pannel. Then hose off again. If find that if I keep it moist I acheive better results and I can operate at 100 - 300 more rpms safely. It remove the dacp I sprited a MF with Z6 and then started to apply one of my 4 coats of Zaino today. The maxima looks like a mirror!

pak
06-22-2003, 05:53 PM
When should you moisten PC pads?

I have found that when removing fine scratches\swirl marks with the PC using the yellow pad from CMA I use a 50/50 mixture of distilled water and denatured alcohol to spritz the pad prior to applying the 3M finish restorer to the pad.This method IMHO aides in the breakdown and allows far less product usage which is a good thing.For PC applying of AIO I use my favorite QD Quickshine from Clearkote. These methods work for me but may not be suitable for you give several methods a try and use what gives you the best results.

pward76
06-22-2003, 09:41 PM
I just spritz with water before the first application of a product. I like to make sure that if I miss spreading the product evenly before the PC is turned on, I don`t run a dry pad across the finish.

Accumulator
06-23-2003, 10:20 AM
I use a damp pad (plain water) to INCREASE the cutting action of compounds/polishes. Sounds counter-intuitive, but it works.

Using a damp cutting pad with an "underperforming" polish can be a real eye-opener.

JimS
06-24-2003, 07:19 AM
I`m using Poorboys Spray and Wipe to dampen the pad. It makes a nice slick surface.

paco
06-24-2003, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by pak

When should you moisten PC pads?

I have found that when removing fine scratches\swirl marks with the PC using the yellow pad from CMA I use a 50/50 mixture of distilled water and denatured alcohol to spritz the pad prior to applying the 3M finish restorer to the pad.This method IMHO aides in the breakdown and allows far less product usage which is a good thing.For PC applying of AIO I use my favorite QD Quickshine from Clearkote. These methods work for me but may not be suitable for you give several methods a try and use what gives you the best results.

Pak,

What the reasoning behind the 50/50 mix as a wetting agent for the pads??? I would imagine if anything, the IPA could actually adversely effect the product you applying. Additionally, it highly likely the IPA would just evaporate off quickly.

I`d stick to a distilled water spritz as being plent to moisten the pad.

Spilchy,

I typically spritz the pad for DACP. For SMR etc, depends on temperature, humidity, how the product is working on the vehicle etc.

pak
06-24-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by paco

Pak,

What the reasoning behind the 50/50 mix as a wetting agent for the pads??? I would imagine if anything, the IPA could actually adversely effect the product you applying. Additionally, it highly likely the IPA would just evaporate off quickly.

I`d stick to a distilled water spritz as being plent to moisten the pad.

Spilchy,

I typically spritz the pad for DACP. For SMR etc, depends on temperature, humidity, how the product is working on the vehicle etc.

I got into the habit of using denatured to remove any fillers that might be left behind. Check on CMA`s website they also endorse the usage. I notice no difference with my "mix" or my favorite QD in the lubrication aspects but the filler removal is greatly inhanced with the denatured and water. Try it you might find it works well for you.