PDA

View Full Version : Last chance for SG!

JohnSWA
06-22-2003, 03:10 PM
Ok, guys and gals. You`ve been hearing about my problems with Klasse SG, so I`m giving it one more chance.

Since the lil womans car was still pretty clean I decided to QEW and then apply another layer of SG. By the way, this was my first experience with QEW and WOW!:xyxthumbs That is the only way to wash a car in 100 deg. heat!!!

Here`s what I did and tell me if I did anything wrong.

After QEWing I used my pc and SG`d the whole car. I was on 3.5 on the pc. I`m going to leave it on for probably about 4 hours. Next I`m going to buff off with a damp MF and follow up with a dry MF.

Does this sound correct to you folks? I hope this works, because I love the shine, but I`ve been having a devil of a time removing SG in the past.

Thanks for your help!:bow

John

disasnguy
06-22-2003, 07:04 PM
i`ve had trouble in the past too but if you leave the SG on for maybe... 24 hours or so, it`s much easier to buff off.

Jngrbrdman
06-22-2003, 07:46 PM
Well, aside from using the PC to apply SG, it sounds ok. A couple of questions though... Did you apply the SG to the car while it was still hot? That could create problems if so. Also, the reason I raise my eyebrow to using the PC with SG is because this stuff needs to go on super thin. Its not like rapid movement is going to make it more effective. Its easiest to just use a dry applicator and wipe it on thin. You`ll use less product that way and it may be easier to buff off.

4 hours is plenty long enough. I usually don`t wait longer than 45 minutes or an hour before I buff it off. You should be fine with 4 hours. What you are buffing off is just excess product that didn`t bond with the car anyway. You could let it dry for 6 days if you wanted to. If you used too much product then its going to be just as hard in 6 days as it is in 4 hours. The key to SG is to just apply it as thin as you can possibly apply it. If you can see it then you`ve used too much.

shaf
06-22-2003, 11:24 PM
I`m sure I`ve mentioned this in your last thread, but I would apply SG with a very slightly damp foam (hand) applicator. Everything I`ve read and seen seems to suggest that damp apps are the way to get it the absolute thinnest.

I`m with Jngr on his second paragraph. :up When using the "two towel" method of buffing go over an area with the damp towel, then wipe off with the dry one. I don`t know what would happen if you did the whole car with one before using the other, but that`s not how the method goes...

Good luck!

Accumulator
06-23-2003, 10:38 AM
I`m all FOR machine application of products, even paste waxes :o but you REALLY have to be careful when applying SG by PC. It`s just SO easy to put it on too thick.

But even then (I`ve experimented by putting it on VERY thick, the way a non-autopian might apply paste wax), using a damp MF (maybe dampened with a LITTLE #34 if the SG is VERY thick) then a dry one, took it right off- after a long enough cure time. I DO find that the thicker it`s applied, the longer it needs to cure, but that`s just my experience.

The suede-style MF`s from CMA (called "the MAX") are especially good for SG removal. I don`t even bother dampening them, just fog the surface with my breath. Always comes right off for me..maybe the Max towel makes all the difference :nixweiss

BTW, just noticed your location..MMMM, burgers at Corvettes!

JohnSWA
06-23-2003, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the input guys!

Well after the waiting period, I used the damp MF and then the dry MF and this seemed to work real well. It was a little difficult in a few spots, but overall it wasn`t that bad at all! Next time I will apply SG by hand. Yes, I`m probably applying too much product and that might have been my problem all along.

You guys are the greatest!:bow Man.......You can`t beat that AIO-SG-S100 glow! I wish I had a digital camera to show my results. Thanks again for the help!:xyxthumbs

John

shaf
06-23-2003, 02:35 PM
Glad you finally managed to turn it around! :bigups