PDA

View Full Version : glaze before zaino?

KgSolomon1
06-22-2003, 02:37 PM
I`ve been trying to decide on compounds/polish etc. to get rid of my swirls before applying zaino. I was looking at 3m medium cut (heavy is too heavy, i want to retain some clear coat :-P), then probably fine cut, then machine polish, and I thought machine glaze or IHG. So is it smart to use a glaze before zaino? Or would it be better to just get menzerma fine cut, IP and FP then finish with Z? The swirls are not too bad or numerous, I`ve had my car "profesionally" detailed twice within 3 years but there are still swirls. Any ideas?

JasonC8301
06-22-2003, 02:38 PM
How will you been taking on these swirls? By hand, random orbit (Pc or the like), or a rotary?

KgSolomon1
06-22-2003, 08:21 PM
My friend used to use a rotory for a local detailing shop so he`s going to do the hard part for me :) But anyway the answer is rotory.

JasonC8301
06-22-2003, 08:27 PM
The most I would do with a rotary or is it rotory? eh, I`ll just say hi-speed buffer. I will be using my hi-speed rotary next week or so on a dark blue corolla, currently looking into some halogen work lights. I want it to be perfect.

Anyhow if you have light swirls then 3M Perfect It III Machine Glaze should suit you fine at removing those swirls and leaving a flawless finish ready to be dawn washed and Zaino`d away.

KgSolomon1
06-22-2003, 08:34 PM
alright, would IP be enough? too harsh? I just wanted to make sure a glaze wouldn`t mess with the "zaino bonding" to the paint.

JasonC8301
06-22-2003, 10:28 PM
Some products named glazes are not really glazes, like 3M PI III Machine Glaze.

I haven`t worked with IP enough to make a conclusion on its performance, but it seemed to remove swirls for me on the two occasions I used it with my Makita.

a dawn wash after any polishing/glazing should remove any oils left behing and leave the paint ready for Z.