PDA

View Full Version : can I detail exterior with a PC?

SXTMagnum
06-22-2003, 01:17 AM
griot`s promotes this idea. but, i have always used my PC for the grunt work (when needed). i always clay and apply the finishing products by hand. is an A to Z detail possible? what products are successful with the look of hand application?

i am rehibilitating from injury. all advice is appreciated (other than let someone else do it). thanks.

ideas:

washing - no prob

drying - no prob

wheels/tires - no prob

interior - no prob

QD - no prob (hopefully)

applying polish for heavy scratches - 3M FI2 with white CMA or orange GG pad?

removing polish for heavy scratches - (need help)

applying polish for swirls - 3M PISR with white CMA or orange GG pad?

removing polish for swirls - (need help)

applying filler/final polish - (need help)

removing filler/final polish - (need help)

applying bad a$$ wax - (need help)

removing bad a$$ wax - (need help)

my main car of concern is a 2003 red exotic. i am the only one who has ever touched the paint. the PC has never touched the car. if there are more appropriate products than what i have mentioned, that is fine. i need polish and wax product advice with application and removal product advice. thanks in advance. i look forward to overcoming this obstacle with success.

LouisanaJeeper
06-22-2003, 03:18 AM
applying filler/final polish - (need help)

removing filler/final polish - (need help)

either way, I would do it by hand

applying bad a$$ wax - (need help)

removing bad a$$ wax - (need help)

If it is Zaino or Klasse I would apply the wax by hand, if not use a slow speed on the pc

Accumulator
06-22-2003, 11:17 AM
mr.w - I`ve had a few vehicles that would qualify as "exotics" and I was always VERY careful about how I treated them. I`ve also had a few injuries that made detailing by hand virtually impossible for quite a while. Without machines like the PC, I could NOT have detailed. Period. My $0.02 follows, as I truly sympathize with your plight. Avoiding further injury will hasten your recovery, so please keep your detailing in perspective. You can always do things differently after you`ve recovered.

Claying MUST be done by hand. Try the Autopia block/Glide claying system if you`ve been using Griot`s. You won`t believe the difference.

Get some Meg`s #34 (Final Inspection) and plenty of GOOD MF towels. These will make all the difference.

Yes, you can SAFELY use the PC on your vehicle without damaging anything. Not just for the "rough work", but for the final polishing, glazing, even waxing. Only problem is the tight areas where the PC`s 6-7.5" pad won`t fit. Gotta do those areas by hand.

Heavy scratches- use a CMA/TOL yellow cutting pad. The white one and the Griot`s orange are NOT aggressive enough. Really. You`ll just waste time and effort. The cutting pad is not too much for your vehicle. Use a pretty high speed on the PC and work the product until it`s broken down (almost gone)- longer is better. If the FI-II isn`t aggressive enough, try DACP. If you don`t REALLY NEED FI-II, try PI-III instead.

Removing same- removal by PC (using bonnets) is imperfect at best and the Viper MF bonnets aren`t soft enough for me (and Griot`s don`t work well at all). Try this instead- put a new cutting pad on the PC, put a HIGH QUALITY MF on the car after LIGHTLY spritzing it with Meg`s #34, put the PC on the MF and turn it on at a fairly low speed. Let the PC act like your hand. Try not to lauch the MF across the county and change to a clean one frequently. You`ll still have to do some final removal by hand. Use plenty of #34, it`ll help a lot.

Final polish- same as above, only use white CMA/TOL pad or Griot`s orange. I`d remove THIS by hand, again using a good MF and some #34. Again, the #34 will make it a LOT easier to remove. Try "different from normal" motions to accomodate your injury. Don`t worry about "back and forth" vs. "circular", just do what is most comfortable.

Final wax- Use a long lasting product so you don`t have to redo it for a while, even if it`s not exactly the look you prefer. I suggest PUPP. A carnauba is NOT the thing to use while you`re recuperating! You CAN apply by PC, except for the nooks and crannies where it won`t reach. Use a gray CMA/TOL or Griot`s red. This will work with a paste too, if you INSIST on using a wax instead of a sealant.

Removal- You can remove a good bit of it with a "suede-style" MF bonnet (used over a wool or foam pad) and the PC. The Griot`s MF bonnet DOES NOT WORK WELL!! Go with "The Max" by CMA or the similar product from TOL. Finish up with a GOOD MF. A little QD (pick one that is compativle with your final product) will help here, too.

SXTMagnum
06-22-2003, 11:32 PM
thanks, accumulator! that is good stuff. you have inspired me to continue my research for the perfect shine - my way. i have been reading for 3 days solid now.

Accumulator
06-23-2003, 09:58 AM
Heh heh, it`d be better without the typos. "Compativle"? :o