PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

Porkanbeans
08-20-2004, 08:10 PM
I detail one car a weekend for around $50. That includes everything except the engine, which I charge $10 more for. I`m almost out of supplies, and I want to start fresh and replenish EVERYTHING. Wash mitts, towels, supplies, you name it. My detail jobs aren`t pro pro, I don`t do clay and multiple coats of different waxes (or at least I haven`t been asked to do it so far). I`m seriously considering a Poorboy`s clean sweep (with one of the microfiber kits, I`d appreciate advice on which one to get too) because of the high quality and reasonable price. I want to buy in bulk, I hate having to run to K-Mart in the middle of a job to get some tire shine :doh . I`m gonna wait until Poorboy`s comes out with their car wash stuff to do this, so I have time for consideration. Also, what are your thoughts on the Vac N Blow vacumm at PAC? It looks game to me :bigups

Thanks for the help and sorry about starting every sentence with a personal pronoun. :rolleyes:

JaredPointer
08-20-2004, 08:14 PM
You absolutely cannot go wrong with the PB.

Boss_429
08-20-2004, 08:25 PM
I think your approach is a good one. Try and buy quality products, and buy them in bulk if you can afford it. However, make sure they are products you want to use first before you start buying in bulk.

I`m sure Steve (Poorboy) can give you more information, and can set you up with what you need. Dwayne here at DC/PAC can do the same.

Poorboy
08-20-2004, 08:49 PM
I agree:D (been a long time since I used that one:) )

If you are charging only $50, then be very selective on the products you purchase...getting products that can do multi-purposes would be of great advantage, and would make your work look like multi-steps.
Also how many weekends a year you do this would be a question of mine, as we here in the Northeast practically shut down for a few months during the winter.

Porkanbeans
08-20-2004, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the quick responses guys. This is something that I`m just getting off the ground. I`m a 15 year old high school student (with a knack for cars, of course) and I find detailing something enjoyable that puts a few extra bucks in my pocket. I do plan to raise my price and buy more supplies (polisher, lots of task-specific products) as I get repeat customers and more of `em. Right now I`ve got appointments for the next 4 Saturdays, so as of now things are good and news about me is spreading like wildfire, thank God.

I live in the Metro Atlanta area, so we have good car wash weather year-round. I plan to keep this business, if you will, going year-round as well. It`s amazing how many referrals I`ve gotten out of every customer (at least 4 or 5 each so far), so I have a feeling I have a chance with this.

I also have another question to tack on. What kind of pad should I apply wax with? I like foam since it doesn`t absorb liquid wax as much, but I`m not sure what the best is. I was also wondering what Poorboy`s wax product I should use for my application if I only use one for each car.

Thankee kindly.

Poorboy
08-20-2004, 09:43 PM
application pads should be the one you find easiest to use and i think Clean Dean has shown that EX would be the one to choose I you had to choose only one

Boss_429
08-20-2004, 10:04 PM
Porkanbeans,

I was doing the same thing when I was 15.................... that was almost 40 years ago.

Do good work, at a fair price (I didn`t say cheap price), and you will eventually have "more" work than you can handle. Not only will you learn more and more about detailing, but you will also be learning how to run a business, and how to deal with people. That will be invaluable no matter what you decide to do with the rest of your life!

Anyhow, as Steve said, EX is a fine choice. PWC would also be a good choice in your case, as it is an "all in one" product.

Good luck.

Mr. Clean
08-21-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Porkanbeans
Thanks for the help and sorry about starting every sentence with a personal pronoun. :rolleyes:

LOL Then I read you are only 15! And you know the difference! :) I commend you for this and your good writing style and grammar. That is certainly a breath of fresh air in these times of "internet speak" Good job!!! :bigups

As others have noted, you are also making good decisions on your product selection. Steve has the products, the product knowledge and the willingness to share his knowledge. That combination will certainly help you along with your detailing service. Good luck to you.

Porkanbeans
08-21-2004, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the compliment Mr. Clean. I was pretty surprised that I caught my little gramatical error, being out of school for the past 3 months.

I just got finished with a 2000 Honda Civic coupe. I`m starting to like doing small cars, that one was in and out in 3 1/2 hours :) . So today`s work buys me a gallon of PwC, which will last me a pretty long time. Does Poorboy`s sell squeeze bottles so I don`t have to pour from the jug of polish? I guess I could use my old wax bottles after cleaning them out if I can`t get them (another $5 saved anyway).

Steve, when is the Poorboy`s car wash coming out? And how is the name coming along? I know it`ll be one hell of a product.