PDA

View Full Version : 27K, never cleaned, need help!

RegalGS
06-21-2003, 03:45 PM
The engine bay, that is. :eek:

I`ve always been very very afraid of spraying water and cleaner into the engine bay. Today I`m feeling a bit braver, but don`t know how to begin. I`ve got EFHI, and the CD2 kit, and plenty of old shop towels.

My question is, I don`t know what to cover so it doesn`t get ruined? Here`s a pic.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/19413800sc-med.jpg

Can anyone help me out?

JasonC8301
06-21-2003, 03:58 PM
Dawn don`t be afraid. But on my first time I was afraid. I`m pretty sure you did a search.

Well I highlighted the areas you might want to cover up or take caution around.

RegalGS
06-21-2003, 10:38 PM
Jason,

Thanks for the red circles. In the end, I chickened out regarding the hose, and just tried to do as much as I could by hand.

Here`s the results of an hour and a half of work:

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/1941clean3800sc-med.jpg

I started using the CD2 cleaner, but :eek: the fumes are strong. So I broke out the diluted EFHI and an older stained el cheapo MF and went to town. I finished by spraying down the hoses with the CD2 shine stuff. It`s ok, but I think I sprayed it to thick in spots because it never quite dried.

One of these days, I`ll get over my fears. There`s a grey plastic panel that goes over the supercharger... it covers most of your red circles. :) If I leave it on and be careful, I think I`d be ok.

JasonC8301
06-21-2003, 10:48 PM
No problem, I wouldn`t worry about spraying water into the engine. As long as you don`t blast the engine you should be fine a light - light/medium mist of water, I sometimes use the shower setting on the nozzle.

Good job, really healthy although a bit shiny black rubber and vinyl.

If you drive your car in the rain, its the same thing with spraying down the engine, making it wet. If rain water won`t screw your engine, I don`t think a hose will. The engine is built basically to be weather proof.....

chris0626
06-21-2003, 11:30 PM
WOW! You did all that in just 1.5 hours??? Would you come out here and do my engine??

BTW, for all those rubber components: Give them a hit of Gummipflege (sold by David thru Autopia). Has its own built-in applicator, or you can apply it in tight spaces with a foam brush. Great satin finish.