PDA

View Full Version : Clear Coated Factory Wheels

Vettecor
06-20-2003, 04:03 PM
Well, I finally got the clear coated factory painted wheels clean.

But in doing so, I wore off the clear coat from the front wheels.

The back are still clear coated and look brand new!

Is there anything I can spray on the front wheels to get them to shine like the rears?

I can`t rub anything on because of the small holes and tiny spaces in the construction of the wheel.

Thanks

Larry

Scott301
06-20-2003, 07:53 PM
:scared How did you wear off the clear? That sounds like something only I could accomplish.

Brad

Detailing NY
06-20-2003, 08:15 PM
what did you use to clean the wheels that removed the clear.

You must have rubbed very hard or used an acid cleaner and left it on to long.

Do you have a pic of the damages, that would help me out.

I have seen in local auto supply shops wheel paint and clear in spray cans. But you must make sure they can withstand heat.

The paint can heat up and peel right off with in a few days of heavy driving.

You may also want to contact a company called wheels america, they can restore your wheel for you and send it back to you. I use them all the time.

NYD

Vettecor
06-20-2003, 11:58 PM
The front wheels were so bad and would NOT clean up with soap & water. I had to use simple green, A2Z, and greased lighning to remove the dirt.

I had to use a soft toothbrush in the small openings to clean them.

I don`t have a camera to show you how hard they were to clean.

Do you think the spray can of clear paint (clear cote) would bring the shine back?

Thanks

Larry

JasonC8301
06-21-2003, 12:16 AM
Well before you send off tyhe wheels to be refinished. Every try a light polish to see if it is a hazy dullness?

I would rather take off the wheels, wash them clean, then polish them out with lots of Q-tips.

shyne
06-21-2003, 02:46 AM
how do you tell if your wheels are clearcoated?

i got my stock 1991 ls400 chrome wheels, not really sure if theyre coated. can i still wax my wheels if theyre not coated?

Detailing NY
06-21-2003, 10:27 AM
yes you can still wax the wheels if they are not clear coated.

godofthunder
06-22-2003, 09:43 PM
Ok, i kinda have this problem too. Since I was stupid and thought that since i have alum. wheels, i should use Alum polish (these are the Oldsmobile "Sawblade" wheels, on the Late Cutlass Supremes).

Well, on all of them, they are pretty torn up. They shine, epcs. when i use the megs 3 step on em. But it looks like rough areas, different shininess, etc.

Where can you get that pain from? And would the tires have to be unmounted?

Jon

Detailing NY
06-23-2003, 06:52 PM
you may want to look at Griots.com, they have a wheel paint

dwheater
06-24-2003, 02:28 AM
Try a Poly sealant rather than a wax. Your wheels get to hot for wax. Zaino will work wonders. If they need some polishing....

http://www.gmtips.com/3rd-degree/dox/tips/buff/info/info.htm

I haven`t tried it but it doesn`t look that bad. Just read this page, don`t follow the link for buffing your own wheels. The buffing link just don`t look safe.

00z71sierra
06-24-2003, 07:35 AM
I`m new here and pretty much just reading the posts and learning from all of your experiences. I recommend reclearing the wheels so that they match the back ones. Go to any auto supply place and they should have wheel clear coat in a spray can.

I restored a set of GM wheels a few years back off my old Chevy truck and the clear coat didn`t peel. You have to make sure that you prep correctly and let the wheels cure fully before putting them back on due to the brake dust. The paint is specifically made for wheels so heat is not a problem.

Good luck, 00z71sierra