PDA

View Full Version : Klasse and water spots

Pandora
06-20-2003, 09:35 AM
After applying my first layer of SG, it rained for an extended period and I went three weeks without washing my car. Now that I`ve had a chance to wash it, it`s got pretty bad water spotting everywhere. I QD`d it with Sonus after the wash, but it didn`t help the spotting, it does shine great however!

Should I start over with AIO and new SG, or is there an easy answer? The paint was prepped well before, clay, SMR and AIO, so the spots are new. Any suggestions?

As an aside, I use AIO and Blitz on the wife`s car, and it`s fine, no water spots. I think it was at least two days after applying SG before the rain started, is SG that sensitive?

Ben

Jngrbrdman
06-20-2003, 10:15 AM
I don`t think the SG has anything to do with it. If anything, SG would help prevent waterspots. I can`t really explain where they came from though. AIO should have taken care of them. Are they not washing off?

Pandora
06-20-2003, 10:32 AM
The car was very dirty when I washed it, so I don`t know if they got better with the wash. They don`t seem to be reduced at all with Sonus and I haven`t tried AIO or any other cleaner yet.

The interesting thing is that they are pretty much confined to the hood and sides of the car, I`ll have to check and see if they`re on the trailing edge of the fenders, or just the leading edge. I`m starting to think that it`s some sort of road film washed up in the rain that`s etched into the SG. From Zaino experience, I would think that SG would stand up to water spots in a similar manner, that`s why I think it must be something stronger than water.

I`ll try another wash to see if that reduces things, then I guess I`ll start over with AIO. Could I use something like GEPC or IHG and still keep some of the SG layer, or will those completely strip it?

Ben

Jngrbrdman
06-20-2003, 10:37 AM
It sounds like you parked near a sprinkler or something. You could try washing with vinegar. That is a well known solution for waterspots. I`ve also had luck with PPCL, which is basicly the same thing as GEPC. That will probably dent your SG though, so you might as well just try using the AIO and starting over. If the vinegar wash doesn`t work then try AIO or your GEPC and that should do the trick.

Pandora
06-20-2003, 10:50 AM
Thanks J-man! I`ll give the vinegar a shot. Congrats on a slightly-less annoying avatar, by the way!

Ben

rleven
06-22-2003, 12:07 AM
I Loved Jngerman last avatar. This one is evil! The vinegar will work but will pretty much dissolve anything that is on the car. You will have to start over as far as you finish goes with AIO-SG blah blah blah.

Bob

shaf
06-22-2003, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by rleven

I Loved Jngerman last avatar. This one is evil! Have you tried clicking the link in his sig by any chance? ;)

jaim
06-22-2003, 11:20 AM
I had the same experience... I applied Klasse SG then after a few hours it rained continiously for about 2 hours.

Klasse SG was not able to bond successfully on your paint surface... thus, it was not able to protect it. Likewise, if you have just applied Klasse AIO and it rained it was also not able to bond.

Based on expereince, Klasse AIO and SG should cure about 24 hours so that it can truly bond to the paint surface.

Currently, I have 5 coats of SG and no amount of rain can make my paint surface have water spots. Klasse AIO and SG was able to cure for about 1 week then before it started to rain.

Hope this info helps!

jaim
06-22-2003, 11:23 AM
I also suggest that you start over again. Apply 2 coats of Klasse AIO after 30 min. over each Klasse AIO, then apply after 1 hour Klasse SG on top of the 2nd coat of Klasse AIO... If you want, top another sg after 48 hours thereafter for subsequent coatings of Klasse SG.

It took me a saturday, monday, wed. and friday to complete the 4 coats of Klasse SG on my paint surface.