PDA

View Full Version : Detaling Plastic Bumbers

ADK
06-20-2003, 09:22 AM
Gentlemen,

I need some help...I just purchased a new `03 Explorer that has the grey plastic bumpers and surrounds around the wheels. I used Lexol Vinylex which made it look good at first but after a brief rain shower it got all streaky and looked terrible. What do you guys suggest that I use to protect these peaces of plastic and still make them look new and not weathered? Any suggestions would be great!!

:nixweiss

Poorboy
06-20-2003, 09:48 AM
First welcome to Autopia:wavey

If it`s brand new you should be able to just keep it clean without dressing...definetly be real careful when applying products to the paint so you don`t have to ask,"how do I get this stuff off" :lol:

Yes water-based products can run if they are not completely dry and buffed out before getting wet...but they will also not stain the trim...

There are a few good products out there if you want to experiment and I`m sure you`ll get a few recommendations;)

I would just use a mild cleaner and keep it looking new:xyxthumbs

Spilchy
06-20-2003, 09:54 AM
I have found that Klasse does a nice job of cleaning, protecting and leaving a wonderful finish on anything that has a hard, smooth surface! I use it on exterior trim all the time.

imported_BretFraz
06-20-2003, 10:23 AM
If the plastic is textured (run your fingernail on it, if you feel a grain its textured) then don`t use a wax or polish. There are some trim detailer products out there like Stoner`s Trim Shine or Hi Temp Molding and Bumper Renew. Mothers makes a product called Preserves Protectant that`s supposed to last up to 30 days. Comes in a spray or wipe.

If the plastic is glossy and smooth like the body, you can wax and polish it with normal paint products.

Accumulator
06-20-2003, 10:46 AM
SLULarry- Welcome to Autopia. Here`s another vote for using Klasse, both AIO and SG. Textured or not, I love that stuff on exterior plastic. If removal from the texture is a pain, try a little Meg`s #34.