PDA

View Full Version : I am confused.. should I clay a new car or not?

p986s
06-19-2003, 09:45 PM
Should I "test" it for rough spots to determine if I should clay? Also, if the car was not detailed at the dealership, should I wash with Dawn or wash with P21S then Klasse twins?

Thanks in advance

C. Charles Hahn
06-19-2003, 09:54 PM
first off, SEARCH.

Secondly, yes do clay your new car. Wash with dawn, clay, then wash with P21S and do the klasse twins.

pward76
06-19-2003, 10:00 PM
Try to keep the dealer from washing your car.

The claybar will remove the rail dust from your paint. Your car was transported by rail at some point, most likely. Rail dust is very small sharp slivers of metal (same as brake dust). Then do what SLD recommends above.

jay_vw
06-20-2003, 02:18 AM
Here`s what I did after taking delivery of my GTI, and no the dealer did not detail mine only removed the shipping tape & bumper protectors.

First I washed with regular Dawn & dried with a micro towel

Next I clay the entire car, the surface was not that rough but you could feel the rail dust in some areas. Mind you Volkswagen has their cars covered pretty well for shipping & sitting in the yard.

I then applied two coats (three on the outer edges) of Klasse All in One.

Followed by three coats of P21S wax.

And lastly a quick shot of Sonus detailing spray.

The only thing I would have done differently was add in the Klasse Sealant Glaze, but I didn`t have any at the time.

This weekend I plan on removing each wheel & appling a few coats of Klasse SG to aid in the removal of brake dust and keep the finish up....

pward76
06-20-2003, 07:40 PM
Sounds good, but if understand Klasse AIO correctly, it doesn`t layer - it cleans whatever was there before. If I`m wrong I`m sure someone will chime in to correct me.

Other than that, sounds like you`ve now got a very shiny car, got pics?

Tim Lingor
06-20-2003, 07:59 PM
YES!!! Clay the car!! I just did my wife`s car that was one month old from the manufacturing date, and there was a ton of contaminents on the front fenders, and rear quarter panels! Now, it is as smooth as glass!!!

Tim

jay_vw
06-21-2003, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by pward76

Sounds good, but if understand Klasse AIO correctly, it doesn`t layer - it cleans whatever was there before. If I`m wrong I`m sure someone will chime in to correct me.

Other than that, sounds like you`ve now got a very shiny car, got pics?

I`ve heard the same thing, but figured I`d go with two coats just to insure I had covered each area. The third coat on the edges (ie above the windowshield) was just incase I missed something. Klasse AIO goes on & off really easy so I didn`t mind the little extra work. I took some photos last week, but haven`t developed the film yet. I really need to invest in a nice digital camera....