PDA

View Full Version : Zaino returns 3 months later....

SK2003TypeS
06-19-2003, 10:47 AM
I posted this about a month ago and figured I`d start a new thread.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23475&highlight=SK2003TypeS

So now it`s been about 3 months since I Zaino`d. My car went untouched, undriven for a week while I was away. I came back only to find some really heavy pollen and other junk all over the hood of my car (parked under the same tree).

After a few passes with just Z7 and water, some of the pollen spots didn`t budge. So I broke out the clay and was able to remove it without a problem. After that, I washed the front of the car a few more times and dried it. Didn`t do the Z6. It`s been raining here in NY so I didn`t bother doing the entire car.

So naturally the next day it rains. And now the beads are back !! So I guess the Zaino is still protecting the paint...

Just thought I`d share my experiences.

rleven
06-19-2003, 01:25 PM
If you clay barred your finish on top of Zaino it is gone. Do not be fooled. Clay takes everything off to the bare paint.

JasonC8301
06-19-2003, 01:31 PM
I would doubt clay would take all the Zaino off the finish. Sure I think clay would degrade the protection on a finish to a certain degree but not take it all off. Unless you were using a heavily abrasive clay like Clay Magic red bar.

Blue-Sun
06-19-2003, 01:43 PM
TTIWWOP

Schmo
06-19-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by rleven

Clay takes everything off to the bare paint.

Well, it leaves the clear coat there too. ;)

rleven
06-19-2003, 02:49 PM
Clear coat is paint without pigment.

SK2003TypeS
06-19-2003, 03:16 PM
If you clay barred your finish on top of Zaino it is gone. Do not be fooled. Clay takes everything off to the bare paint

Really ??? I though you had to use some rubbing alcohol and water combo to break through the Z to get it back down to bare paint (clearcoat). One thing I noticed, is that after I clayed and washed, the water wasn`t streaky like when I first dawn washed the car 3 months ago. So I was thinking that the Z was still on the car.

rleven
06-19-2003, 04:08 PM
Nah, the clay bar removes wax, sealant, everything right down to the clear coat. I would reapply after claying.

Bob

JasonC8301
06-19-2003, 04:15 PM
Depends on the clay bar.

Clay Magic red bar will remove everything form the paint because it has abrasives in it. Linear marks were introduced when I used this abrasive clay, not something I recommend for all but the worst finishes. The clay magic blue bar does the same job as the red bar by removing the contamination on the paint but still leaves some protection on the finish. If you sprayed down a car without protection and a car with protection/sealant on it you can tell if there is protection on the car by looking at how the water behaves.

A clay bar will smooth out the surface by removing the contamination on the surface, taking some sealant along with it, not all of the sealant but some of it. Enough to grant reapplying sealant to the clayed areas or the whole car.

topnotchtouch
06-19-2003, 04:22 PM
Clean bare paint that is still in good condition will bead. Don`t assume that just because you have beads there is protection there. I have an 01 `Stang and after claying I did a dawn wash then went over the whole car with DACP and then did another dawn wash and the car still beaded like mad. I thought there was still something left on the paint but, what could survive claying, 2 dawn washes and DACP? The second dawn wash should have removed anything that might have been left behind by the DACP.

JasonC8301
06-19-2003, 04:29 PM
I am not assuming the beads. If you apply a sealant like Klasse or Zaino and do a light claying there will still be some of the sealant left on the surface. Clay wasn`t designed to removed old wax/sealant it was meant for surface contamination.

Its the way the beads behave on the finish. Sure if you remove everything from the paint and jsut have the bc/cc itself the beads will be there, then lay down some Zaino and respray water and the beads are there but they behave differently, sort of like bounce off/sheet and the leave behind some beads.

SK2003TypeS
06-19-2003, 05:00 PM
Interesting....

Well, the clay I used was Pinnacle along with the Pinnacle spray. I did a few quick passes just to get the pollen and junk off. I was planning on putting another coat or so of Z on. Guess I have to do it sooner than I planned. It`s been raining like crazy here in NY. :mad:

Scottwax
06-19-2003, 11:42 PM
Most cars will bead after claying because the surface is contamination free and the QD you use with the clay will also help the paint bead ago.

SK2003TypeS
06-20-2003, 09:38 AM
Sorry to keep this topic going.

When I did apply Z 3 months ago. On the hood only (which is what was recently clayed), I put on 2 coats of Z5 and 2 coats of Z2 (maybe a few more). So are you guys saying that my light claying , just to get the pollen off, probably stripped the Zaino off ?

Thanks for all the feedback.

chris0626
06-20-2003, 11:48 PM
I`ve been using Zaino since October (about 8 months now). Every now and then I clay it. After claying, I still believe/see some of the Zaino protection is still there. Typically, I then add another layer of Z2. From what I read on the Zaino site, I believe it takes something lots more aggresive than clay to remove Z. And... I`d listen to JasonC8301 -- he generally doesn`t post unless he`s pretty dang sure what he`s talking about.

Anybody else out there have something more than "hunches" and "perceptions"?