PDA

View Full Version : Think I`m using not enough Klasse SG...

OUCH
06-19-2003, 05:17 AM
K I just realized after reading a couple of old threads about SG and AIO that I could be using less than I should. I bought a pair of this 1 ounce squeeze bottle from YoSteve, filled the bottles with AIO and SG..

1st time I used the bottle of AIO and SG (by hand), I only used half of the AIO bottle and just a lil bit more than a third of the SG on my friends Maxima.. Then I used the rest on my car which is a Honda Prelude, the bottle of AIO still has an 1/8 left which is fine I guess considering my car is smaller than the Maxima.. SG on the other hand still has 1/4 left even AFTER the 2 coats I put on my car this past 2 days.

My car is white so it`s kinda hard for me to see where or how much of the SG I`ve applied. What I do is give my MF Applicator Pad a spritz of Wet N Shine per the Instruction I got from CMA pour a dime size of SG on the pad and I start wiping, SOMETIMES I will see haze on my paint as I apply SG on, but sooner or later that haze disappears and sometimes they stay...

So yah not exactly sure if I`m not putting as much as I should be. Sometimes I feel like I`m applying some "imaginary formula" cause I can`t see it on my paint..

You think it`s really possible to use just a quarter of an ounce a whole car?

Cleanmaxx Brian
06-19-2003, 07:29 AM
I am thinking the exact same way!!! I put 3 coats of SG on my 03 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab and I also did not use an ounce each time! And when I was putting it on, (dime spot on pad doing 1/2 - 3/4 panel) if you spread it out, it will dissapear! HMMMM???????????

HellrotCi
06-19-2003, 08:00 AM
One thing is for sure, using too little is way better than using too much when it comes time to buff off the SG. I checked my bottle and I`ve used about 4oz since I bought it last fall. That`s been enough to do 10 applications, 4 on my wife`s Catera and 6 on my BMW. That`s a little less than 1/2 oz per coat so from my point of view it seems you`re using the right amount. I pour a pencil lead size line about 2" long on my MF applicator. When I first start, that`s enough to do 1/4 of my hood, but as the surface of the applicator gets fully dampened with SG that same amount will cover twice the area.

RhinoNC
06-19-2003, 09:49 AM
I have a hard time detecting where I`ve applied SG and where I haven`t. It`s really hard to see unless you`re using too much. I found that I couldn`t do the straight line technique that jimwh`s instructions suggest. A dime sized drop wasn`t wide enough to overlap.

I ended up doing a circular motion, but I was still not sure whether I was hitting every part of the car.

Do any of you Klasse veterans have any tips for this.

My car is blue, I`d imagine it would be WAY more difficult on a white car.

Bruce
06-19-2003, 10:39 AM
I just divided my hood into three areas and applied SG, UPP and Z5 for comparison. The problem of spreading thin is the same for all three, none easier than another.

When the product started to disappear as I was applying it, I held my 500-watt halogen lamp in one hand while continuing to apply product with the other. I could see it very clearly, and you would be amazed how much of an area you can still cover after you think you have used up everything on the applicator. It was easy to do.

I did this in the shade of a carport. I`m not sure whether it would work outside in sunlight.

99323ic
06-19-2003, 11:25 AM
I will agree that SG is very difficult to see on a white car...

basically, you`ll end up using better than a dime size amount on a pad when you start. As the pad gets wetter, you won`t need as much to get the coverage. That`s why I usually start on smaller panels (trunk, fenders, doors) and finish up on the largest areas (hood, roof).

Depending on the size of your car, by the time you finish applying the SG, it`ll be about the right time to remove it. So I start on the panel I began with and work my way around the car again. One thing you can do (if it`s a light colored car) is check to see if the reflection is a little hazy or wavy. The PC will definitely leave a pattern that you can see. At least that`s how I do it on my white Jetta.

I hope that this helps.

porterdog
06-19-2003, 11:38 AM
I can put about 6-9 coats on my Miata with one oz, and I really don`t feel like I`m using it sparingly. One oz/coat is a huge amount, IMO...

Robert

shaf
06-19-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by OUCH

You think it`s really possible to use just a quarter of an ounce a whole car? Absolutely. :) http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12399

I`ve vowed to get it back down to a more realistic 4 or 5 coats per ounce next time (I have a Maxima too), but I`m with Porterdog - 1oz is waaaaaaay too much! Klasse SG doesn`t haze over all that great when it dries I think, especially at the thinness levels that are suggested and make removal easier.

Personally I stopped using any QD to spread the SG. Why? Because QD is mostly water anyway, so water is safe, and lets say you spray a big shot of QD on your pad and put one tiny drop of SG in the middle. How do you know if you`ve run out of SG and are just applying QD that dries to a haze, right?

I use a very light mist of water, draw a straight line of SG on the pad, work really methodically, check once in a while by fogging, and apply the SG super thin. HTH

rleven
06-19-2003, 01:31 PM
Hey Porterdog. But you have 1/9th a car. :) Fun little things ain;t they. One of my old GF`s had one. Used to love to drive it.

Bob

raymond_ho2002
06-19-2003, 01:46 PM
A while ago i brought up using a blacklight to aid in seeing sg application and removal.. I dont have a blacklight so I haven`t tried this myself. Although I also can`t think of any reason why it should work, I thought maybe someone else who had one would wanna check just in case?

Accumulator
06-19-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by raymond_ho2002

A while ago i brought up using a blacklight to aid in seeing sg application and removal.. I dont have a blacklight so I haven`t tried this myself. Although I also can`t think of any reason why it should work, I thought maybe someone else who had one would wanna check just in case?

ARRGH...totally forgot. I`ll try to check this soon..

Accumulator
06-19-2003, 02:05 PM
OK, just threw a quick coat of SG on the top of a toolbox. Sorta thick on one side, thin on the other. Hit it with the black light, and NOPE, it didn`t show up. I`ll try this test again and with some other products next time I`m detailing, but so far the answer is NO, it doesn`t work for SG.

raymond_ho2002
06-19-2003, 10:17 PM
:( I had a sinking feeling it wouldn`t work. Thanks very much for trying it out.

shaf
06-19-2003, 10:55 PM
Thank you Accumulator. :up I remember this idea being thrown around now.... too bad it doesn`t work, that would have been fantastic. :(