PDA

View Full Version : washing my towels and pads

shyne
06-19-2003, 03:21 AM
do you guys wash your towels and pads with your own washer/dryer or go to a lanudry mat? in my house they wont let me use the washing machine, theyre afraid it might super stain or it or something.

also i just bought some new terry cloth pads, should i wash them before i use them? theyre "viking" brand pads, came taped togther not in a bag, hoping to find a bagged one but thats the best i could do.

imported_BretFraz
06-19-2003, 09:16 AM
I wash my stuff in my machines. But ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I`ve never had a problem washing the grubbiest towels.

Don`t bother washing applicators. You can rinse them off and/or wipe off any loose threads.

laynlow
06-19-2003, 09:46 AM
I wash em` in the machine with no problems. If there is a lot of product in something, I just flip on the extra rinse.

endus
06-19-2003, 09:49 AM
My mom and my girlfriend have tried to hand me that garbage in the past too. Tell them to stop being so ridiculous. My mom used to get upset when I would steal bathroom towels to use to dry my car....it doesn`t hurt anything, and it certainly isn`t going to hurt the f`ing washing machine. The only thing I might worry about is that some products might stain towels. However, up to this point I have never run into any that did this.

There was just a thread about this the other day.

Personally, I machine wash and I think it`s better because a.) the pads get cleaner b.) it`s easier and c.) given the amount of wringing you ahve to do washing pads by hand, it`s better for the pads to use the machine.

medic159
06-19-2003, 10:04 AM
Yes, ALWAYS wash everything before using it for the first time. There is no way for a manufacturer to control where his products pass through before reaching the consumer. Especially if the pads are not bagged you run the risk of them having picked up contaminants such as sand or dirt grains, even metal filings found in warehouses. Many fabrics even have oil deposits from the sewing and binding machines use in their manufacture.

Better to be safe than sorry!

99323ic
06-19-2003, 10:41 AM
I wash in my home washing machine, using Tide and OxyClean. Personally, I use a hot wash and cold rinse and then dry in the dryer using a no heat setting. Works great every time!

RATIFIED
06-19-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by jimwh

I wash in my home washing machine, using Tide and OxyClean. Personally, I use a hot wash and cold rinse and then dry in the dryer using a no heat setting. Works great every time!

I do the exact same, unless the towels are real dirty. Then I just wash them twice!!!

shyne
06-20-2003, 04:18 AM
i know i should wash my mf towels seperately from other towels, but i wash them with my foam and terry pads?

shaf
06-20-2003, 01:23 PM
I wouldn`t wash my MFs with any applicators. Especially the terry ones, which are basically terry towels stretched over foam... I prefer hand washing all my applicators.

Bookus11
06-21-2003, 12:32 AM
I wash my Pakshak MFs with my CMA foam applicators all the time & the results are awesome! I use All detergent(free & clear version) & air dry in the dryer. Never had any problems. I used to be afraid to machine wash the pads but took a chance & I`m glad I did. They come out so much better IMO. :)

shyne
06-21-2003, 10:26 PM
well i just washed all my towels and pads today, nice and clean. i have about 9 foam pads and 5/9 of them show some black in them still. It must be from my early detailing days when i didnt know what i was doing. what should i do with those? i was thinking of just using them on my wheels or interior, too afraid to use it on the paint.

shaf
06-22-2003, 01:20 AM
Throw them in the sink with some detergent and start kneading and rubbing. I cleaned up a friend`s dusty, forgotten app pretty well that way in a few minutes.

explorer
06-22-2003, 05:59 AM
To clean my dirty towels and any thing else I use "P21S Total body wash", and then just run them trough clean water.

With excellent results.

beastie
06-23-2003, 07:39 AM
I hand wash in the sink with dish detergent. I do the microfiber towels first then the terry applicators. I do the QD towels, wash towels, drying towels, polishing towels, wax towels, wheel and lower body towels (cleanest to dirtiest) then the terry applicators. Then they are rinsed in cold water. Terry towels, cotton rags and absorber go in the machine.