PDA

View Full Version : Why plastic rear windows instead of glass on convertibles?

Jngrbrdman
06-18-2003, 08:48 PM
I have a question for your convertible guys. How many of you have a glass rear window? I am shocked at the number of high end vertes out there that have the clear plastic rear windows. I would think that If I forked out the big bucks for a Z8 or something like that, then I would at least be given a glass rear window. Don`t ya think? The Pontiac Sunfire has one. The Chrysler Sebring has a glass rear window too I believe. Why can`t a Miata have one? Or a BMW? Aren`t they a pain in the butt? Do you Autopians with convertibles prefer one over the other? I wouldn`t imagine that a rear window defroster would matter for a convertible since they aren`t really cold weather cars. :lol I feel sorry for the guys who have to try and get their convertible warmed up in the cold Utah winters. Anyway, I was just wondering if you ever feel a little ripped off because they didn`t put in a glass, or at least plexiglass, window back there. Why do they use the plastic anyway?

rexster314
06-19-2003, 01:01 AM
My MR2 Spyder has the rear glass w/defroster. Don`t know why the higher dollar cars don`t have real glass

Rex

bjwebster
06-19-2003, 06:19 AM
Well, more and more, they are using glass in the back window of most convertibles. The only BMW left with a plastic one now is the Z8, go figure.

BoxsterCharlie
06-19-2003, 06:28 AM
I used to think the Boxster absolutely had to have plastic. Think about it, the car has an engine 6 inches behind the seats and a decent sized rear trunk (which supliments a very deep and useful front trunk big enough to store an dorm refridgerator). When the top fold down, that plastic window folds neatly in half.

BUT...then 2003 came along! They did the impossible. By reducing the size of the rear window and completely revising the shape and number of ribs of the top--the rear is now glass!

My only defense now is that the old style is a little lighter! But really, I love the `03. BTW, the Miata went to glass, too.

Slackmeister
06-19-2003, 10:25 AM
IIRC, the newer style Miatas have glass rear windows.

Brad B
06-19-2003, 01:39 PM
It all has to do with packaging. Mercedes has a new roadster coming out where the glass will hinge so it will fit in a space that ordinarily plastic would have had to be used.

Schmo
06-19-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Brad B.

It all has to do with packaging. Mercedes has a new roadster coming out where the glass will hinge so it will fit in a space that ordinarily plastic would have had to be used.

Ugh, I wonder how that will look when the top is up and you have to look through that hinged area, not to mention the seal it would make. Seems to me that the engineering dollars are better spent to make a glass window work without hinging then spending money on making the first hinged window (as far as I know). Anyway, time will tell.

My outgoing Boxster had plastic and I absolutely hated it. No defoggers and cleaning the plastic windows is a PITA! My M3 Cab has a glass one, much better! (The new Boxsters made the glass window work, they must have heard all of us complaining about it).

imported_stormsearch
06-21-2003, 05:17 PM
just a guess, but cost cutting? The only other conceivable thing I can imagine is weight on the mechanism? Maybe a plastic window is lighter to propel than a glass one?

switerajaya
06-21-2003, 07:04 PM
I had a `92 vette `vert with a plastic window, in `98 I replaced the top because it went all yellow and couldn`t see through it. If only I knew about Autopia back then. I could have saved $698. I`m not sure of the year, I think the `93 40 year anniversary edition went to glass. I know that the plastic window `vert frame had to fold to be put away and the one I have now the glass slides in first.