PDA

View Full Version : Not just the search engine, but also the product reviews....

JustinR32
06-18-2003, 07:55 PM
The product reviews are another area where you vets can help us new guys cut down on the signal-to-noise ratio. Wondering about a product, what it does, how easy is it to work with? Look it up in the product reviews.

Actually, I`d recommend that EVERYONE consider writing a review of products they are familiar with. For example, for all the mention of Meguiar`s #9, there are no reviews of it. For all the tremendous value of Autopia, IMO that`s one area we can all contribute to and improve.

Mosca

chris0626
06-18-2003, 11:11 PM
yes, YES, YES!!! I don`t understand why more Autopians don`t post reviews and don`t read the reviews. Glad you flagged this issue, Mosca. :up

JustinR32
06-19-2003, 09:12 PM
Yeah, someone will come into here, or AU, and post his/her experience with a product, and then it comes up as one of 45 results in a search, or maybe there`s a spelling error or someone searches "P21-S" and misses all the "P21S" listings. If you think about it, it`s a great place to accumulate knowledge. I`ve said it before, this is one of the best knowledge sinks I`ve ever seen, a place where opinion don`t mean jack; what`s your car look like, dude?

For example, with all the users of Meg`s #9, there are no reviews of it. Once again, someone`s going to post "What about Meg`s #9?" And some people are going to give their experiences, and some are going to say, "Do a search"; but also, a search for Meg`s #9 turns up... no result. The term "9" is shorter than the minimum word length. "Meguiar`s swirl remover" turns up... 461 topics. A bit too much information; how do you sort out an analysis of the effectiveness of Meguiar`s swirl remover from the posts that say, "I used Meguiar`s swirl remover and then topped with AIO"?

I`m hosting a "Shine and Dine" for my car club this Sunday. I`m going to get a good look at a lot of products (including #9!), and I`m going to detail (or help detail) more cars in a day than I would do of my own in 3 years. Everything we use, I promise I`ll write a review.

Mosca