PDA

View Full Version : I think Clearkote has a huge winner coming out soon

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Scottwax
06-18-2003, 05:18 PM
I think most of the people who have tried Quikshine and Vanilla Moose have been pleased with the results. The verdict on Moose Wax has been decidedly mixed, with a few people having problems using it over Vanilla Moose and it seeming to strip out any filling properties you get with VM.

Everett Glass of Clearkote has addressed that problem quite well I think. I met with him about a month ago when he was at Texas Motor Speedway for a car show and he seemed very interested in the results I was getting using S100 on top of Vanilla Moose. He said when he got back, he`d mix up some carnuba he had to see if he could come up with a liquid carnuba that would rival and possibly surpass the shine, depth and reflection of S100.

He sent me two versions of the wax to try (and a few others on this board also). One contained carnuba and the other did not. Both are a petroleum based wax (like Vanilla Moose and Moose Wax), but without abrasives or cleaners. I used the non carnuba one on a black S500 in the direct sun (I was asked specifically to test them both in the sun). It went on and off with ease on black paint on a nearly 90 degree day and noticably added gloss, shine and depth. The only problem I had was some dusting, most likely because my first instinct was to use a bit too much product to compensate for what I thought would be very fast drying on paint that would steam when water was on it. When I used less product, it still spread with ease and wiped off just as easily and dusted a bit less. Still, VM doesn`t dust at all in the heat.

This is an after pic (no sense in a before pic, especially in the sun and the car looked pretty good anyway).

Scottwax
06-18-2003, 05:24 PM
Now on to the carnuba version which I like more. It does not dust at all that I have noticed and it is an extremely easy product to use. Wipe on, wipe off. The less you let is sit, the easier it wipes off. On top of Vanilla Moose and also Final Polish (a Car Polishes product), it noticably deepens the color and depth and adds wetness.

When I used it on a red Acura CL Type S yesterday, the customer immediately noticed I had used something different and that it was the best his car has ever looked...and this is a guy who washes his car himself 5 times a week and has me wax it at least every 2 months. I`ve used #7/#26, Hand Polish?Souveran, S100 SEC/S100 and Final Polish/S100 on his car and this time I used Vanilla Moose and Clearkote`s yet unamed carnuba wax.

Scottwax
06-18-2003, 05:28 PM
I also used the VM/carnuba combo on a green Lexus Ls400 (a 1996 model) that I take care of regularly and the owner has waxed every 3 months (never sooner :( ), so it will be a good test of the durability of the combination. On the light metallic green, it left an absolutely shimmering finish:

Jngrbrdman
06-18-2003, 05:30 PM
Sounds interesting. Those are certianly impressive results. I`m a big carnauba hound so I`m looking forward to getting my hands on some. :)

Scottwax
06-18-2003, 05:31 PM
Now for the requistite reflection of myself off black, again using the same Vanilla Moose/carnuba combo:

Scottwax
06-18-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

Sounds interesting. Those are certianly impressive results. I`m a big carnauba hound so I`m looking forward to getting my hands on some. :)

I`ve already requested that Everett whip me up a larger batch (he sent me 4 oz which has been enough for 8 vehicles so far including an Excursion and F-250 with a camper shell) asap and I don`t care if I have to pay for it. It spreads very easily too.

I don`t know the release timetable on the product yet, nor the price. Everett just wanted real world testing and feedback and I called him after I finished that green Lexus to see what I could find out. He was on the road, so it may be weeks at least before he ramps it up, but I really hope it is sooner than later. Even in the sun on the red Acura and a red Eddie Bauer Excursion, there was no problem at all applying or removing it.

BTW, here is the Expidition:

imported_Intermezzo
06-18-2003, 05:52 PM
:bow :bow to you and to Everett!

Can`t wait to get my greedy little hands on some of this stuff!!

Jngrbrdman
06-18-2003, 05:55 PM
This thread is verging on being moved to the bragging forum, dude. :xyxthumbs This stuff looks great on any color. You don`t haven`t tested it on white yet, have you? I`d love to see that.

imported_memnuts
06-18-2003, 05:59 PM
Looks great Scott!!!! Fantastic shine and apparent depth. :bow

Can an everyday hobbist, like myself, get the same or close to your results with proper prep with this new Carnuaba from Clearkote?

How is the slickness? They appear as slick as glass.

Any streaking problems on the dark colors?

I too would love to try some as soon as it is available. :bounce

Scottwax
06-18-2003, 05:59 PM

This thread is verging on being moved to the bragging forum, dude. :xyxthumbs This stuff looks great on any color. You don`t haven`t tested it on white yet, have you? I`d love to see that.

I used it on pearl white yesterday. Unfortunately, white tends to wash out a bit when you stand back, but it had a noticably wet sheen to it.

Scottwax
06-18-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

Looks great Scott!!!! Fantastic shine and apparent depth. :bow

Can an everyday hobbist, like myself, get the same or close to your results with proper prep with this new Carnuaba from Clearkote?

Yes, I am sure anyone could. I didn`t do anything special at all. Just QEW washed, my 16-year-old applied and removed the Vanilla Moose and I applied and removed the carnuba wax. All the paint jobs were in decent shape and they are all on cars I see regularly so I can monitor the durability.

How is the slickness? They appear as slick as glass.

Any streaking problems on the dark colors?

I too would love to try some as soon as it is available. :bounce

It`s a bit weird, almost like the wax has to set a couple of minutes for max slickness. At first it feels very soft and smooth and then after a couple of minutes, it feels slicker and then stays very slick, similar to any good carnuba.

Jngrbrdman
06-18-2003, 06:07 PM
Hmmmm.... based on your experience with S100 and other carnaubas, how does it rate on white? It looks fantastic on dark colors obviously. I`m always in search of the better carnauba for white. Does it rate with S100 for white? Any comparison?

imported_memnuts
06-18-2003, 06:09 PM
Cool!

Keep us up-dated, please.

Sounds like a must try. I hope it is coming out soon. I will need some QS and might as while include this with the next order ( wishful thinking and save on shipping :o ). :xyxthumbs

Scottwax
06-18-2003, 06:11 PM

Hmmmm.... based on your experience with S100 and other carnaubas, how does it rate on white? It looks fantastic on dark colors obviously. I`m always in search of the better carnauba for white. Does it rate with S100 for white? Any comparison?

It is hard to say which one is actually the best on white because they both look great and I didn`t test them side by side on the Caddy. Next time I do a white car, I`ll do a half and half comparison, but I doubt it will show well in a picture.

In any event, on every color I`ve used it on, even after prepping the paint, you can see a difference from in the panel I`ve used it on the panel I haven`t yet. Noticably deeper and wetter.

jonw440
06-18-2003, 06:13 PM
This sounds to good to be true in the hands of "Meir mortals". Remember Scottwax is NOT mortal, he could rub cow *hit on a black car and make it look Shinny!!

It also sounds like Scottwax is shooting for Marketing Executive Vice President on the board at Clearkote:nixweiss