PDA

View Full Version : The most overboard you`ve gone with your car detailing.

Pages : [1] 2

YoSteve
06-18-2003, 01:47 AM
What`s up guys (and girls)?

What happened to any of the FUN posts :xyxthumbs

I figured I`d start one up. Have a great day.

topnotchtouch
06-18-2003, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by YoSteve

What`s up guys (and girls)?

What happened to any of the FUN posts :xyxthumbs

I figured I`d start one up. Have a great day.

Started out as some dirt in a crevice between my bumper cover and the rear quarter panel. Now my bumber cover is sitting on my front porch and I have the whole rear bumper assembly taken apart and am getting estimates to have a panel that affects the alignment of the rear bumper cover massaged a little. The bumper cover doesn`t quite fit right :( The wife says I have gone overboard :rolleyes:

Scott P
06-18-2003, 07:07 AM
The first time my now wife saw me detail my car, I had the front grills out, the headlights out and the tailights out. She told me I was nuts for waxing behind those parts. :D

CharlesW
06-18-2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Scott P

The first time my now wife saw me detail my car, I had the front grills out, the headlights out and the tailights out. She told me I was nuts for waxing behind those parts. :D It`s possible she might be right.;)

Charles

Accumulator
06-18-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Scott P

...I had the front grills out, the headlights out and the tailights out... :D

LOL, I do that to the XJS quite often. I just recently put `em back on after putting multiple coats of SG on them (including the sides that don`t show).

Craziest I THINK I`ve been lately was when I had the Mallett C5. Much polishing and multiple coats of Souveran on the entire underside, suspension, backside of panels, etc. etc. Put it up on stands EVERY time I washed it and carefully did every bit of it (including another coat of Souveran or at least some QD). And I washed it nearly every time I drove it. When I traded it towards the S8 it was a LOT better than new. It was getting "too nice to drive", all wrong for a car like that :o

imported_Luster
06-18-2003, 02:03 PM
1. Cleaned and painted the entire exhaust system. Hi temp aluminum.

2. Detailed engine bay EVERY WEEK for 3 years.

3. Took off chrome trim rings on fender wells, cleaned under them, put `em back on, monthly. (I had a car that had chrome trim back in the 80`s)

4. Pull the wheels before every show and re-paint the calipers / intensely clean the springs/struts/wheelwells.

andriver
06-18-2003, 02:33 PM
Got home late from the coast. About 9 p.m. Washed, glazed and waxed the Jeep. Also cleaned the interior. Did I mention that I washed the underbody because of sea salt. I think I finished around 2 a.m. Got up at 6 a.m. to go to a breakfast meeting...Andrew

Nocholis Rimnson
06-18-2003, 03:05 PM
I removed the Engine and trans on my 911RS for a DETAIL... Cleaned The Underside of the Body...Up on a Hoist..Then Removed the Oil Tank, Suspension ...etc and had it powder painted..same with Engine Sheet metal Then had the Exhaust Coated..Wife Still Thinks I Am NUTS...Her response is Why In The ... are you doing this since NO One will ever see it...I Tell Her You just Dont Understand!

BTW My RS got a FIRST in Class at the Local show...So It was worth it to me!

heysa
06-18-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Luster

2. Detailed engine bay EVERY WEEK for 3 years.

Your mechanic must love you!

Although I`m not sure if it counts as "detailing", I spend alot of time cleaning the undercarriage. Driving around in the salt-ridden streets of Pittsburgh, I`m trying to prevent (or at least slow down the process) my entire frame from rusting through in 5 years.

Is it true that people who live in warm climates never buy new cars? :)

Cleanmaxx Brian
06-19-2003, 07:46 AM
1. I too remove the wheels and polish the springs before a show

2. Removing parts to clean under them is perfectly normal...the chance that there is dirt inbetween GRINDING AWAY AT THE PAINT should be done to "protect the car from rust" (Even though the car has not seen RAIN it 9 years)

3. Uhhhh I detailed my tool box wheels with Meg. High Gloss Gel

See, I am not that bad:nixweiss

imported_Luster
06-19-2003, 08:06 AM
Anyone who details their fertilizer spreader has some serious issues.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid49/p9991e9beab87d406544cf92fea8a2b12/fcb35428.jpg

This is the "before" picture. (Misplaced the after)

DaGonz
06-19-2003, 09:00 AM
I detailed my lawnmower and snowblower last week...

My neighbors think I am insane... my wife confirms it! ;)

The new shed arrived, and I detailed the "yard stuff" before putting it in the shed. The plus side is...I have more room in the garage!

texaggie1
06-19-2003, 01:42 PM
I wax my tractors

Dios
06-19-2003, 05:45 PM
started detailing at 10pm didnt stop till 8am the next day... i was outside using big bright flood lights in my driveway my dad and nieghbors got up for work and thought i was crazy.... its alot easier to detail during the day btw but i had gotten spray paint on my car by some punk kid and had to get it off

rleven
06-20-2003, 02:34 AM
You guys are truly Autopians. I have gotten seriously into detailing lately and I am now in the process of having my garage floor resurfaced and tiled. I dropped in track lighting in my garage last week and a cabinet maker is installing new shelving and cabinets this week. I am still looking for that perfect workbench. This is all for a car that I drive on Sat and Sun. People think I am nuts. Oh, my garage in FL is tiled white. My oh so shiney StypeR lives better than I do. :)