PDA

View Full Version : Dawn Detergent

nsxguru
06-17-2003, 08:45 AM
It seems that it is common knowledge that Dawn dishwashing detergent is ideal for stripping wax and accumulated gunk.

My question is this: Does Dawn also strip things like Klasse AIO/SG off? Are there any particular disadvantages to using Dawn prior to a detail? I`ve heard that it`s harsh enough to dry out the surface of the paint.

Thanks,

David

shaf
06-17-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by nsxguru

It seems that it is common knowledge that Dawn dishwashing detergent is ideal for stripping wax and accumulated gunk.

Eh.... "ideal"? I`d hardly say that. Dawn has not stripped a few waxes like people thought they would and I`ve found it doesn`t strip Klasse. Personally I don`t see much use for it and haven`t Dawned a whole car.

Do a search - lots of people don`t use it and it mainly started off as a Zaino procedure and went crazy from there....

paco
06-17-2003, 01:08 PM
Dawn use is somewhat controversial and it`s application use is at best ... average.

On a freshly coated layer of wax, you`ll need to do 2 or 3 washes to strip off most of the protectant. On a 2-4 week layer of wax, it`ll probably strip it off.

Sealants like Klasse/Zaino etc. would hardly be effected by a dawn wash.

Dawn can`t really do any good but there were several old threads (lost during the crash) with Ron and co. siting why even one use of it could damage you paint. I don`t by into a one use damage thing, but the key message to take home is that repeated use could be damaging. Especially as people are using it on a polish vehicle that doesn`t have any protection (I myself have done so as per Zaino recommendation).

I doubt moving forward that I will ever use Dawn again.

Paco

Scott301
06-17-2003, 01:10 PM
I`ve also heard it can soften the paint.

Brad