PDA

View Full Version : Ordered PC, DACP, #9 SMR, CMA pad kit

abe lincoln
06-16-2003, 09:43 PM
Well I just forked over $200 some dollars to Coastal Tools, CMA, and Meguiar`s. Ordered the 7424 from Coastal with the bonus kit, CMA`s accessory kit with the backing plate and the pads (the one that costs $60), as well as some DACP and SMR. BTW, DACP is expensive!! I already own Meguiar`s #7, ScratchX, and the deep crystal system.

I have a huge project on my hands, as my Stealth`s paint has many swirls. There are very few scratches, so I`m confident that with the PC I can restore the paint. I am wondering, however, if I should use the terry bonnets included in the kit to buff out polish or wax after applying it with a pad? Also, if I don`t clay the car (say I clayed it recently) would using a cleaner such as Meguiar`s Deep Crystal System cleaner by hand (on PC, what pad would I use?) and then going to DACP with the cutting pad be alright?

Accumulator
06-17-2003, 11:20 AM
blkstealth - Not sure about the Deep Crystal. I haven`t used it in many years, but I THINK it`s sorta aggressive, which might be OK for what you`re doing.

If you`re gonna DACP with a cutting pad, I`d use an PRECEDING products with a cutting pad too.

I would NOT use the terry bonnets for product removal (or for anything else). I`d worry about marring, which I`ve had even with Viper MF bonnets (although it was VERY minor). Removal-by-machine is proving to be more problematic than I had hoped. So far, the only thing that works fine for me is the suede-style MF bonnets used for final protectant removal, and I switch to a new bonnet frequently. I`d save the terry bonnets for experimenting and/or use on beaters.

Spilchy
06-17-2003, 11:27 AM
Use the terry bonnett as a shower cap for your pet if you have one. If not, it makes a nice contoured wash cloth to get to all those hard to reach areas :D

abe lincoln
06-17-2003, 11:31 AM
haha, thanks guys, I will be sure to post pictures in a few weeks when the car is all done.

Spilchy
06-17-2003, 11:43 AM
IMHO, just try the DACP with the cutting pad after the car has been washed. You shouldn`t need the Crystal Piant Cleaner stuff if you`re using DACP. The DACP is fairly abrasive on its own. All of us here love it.

As JNGR once said to me, you don`t need to kill a mosquito with a sledge hammer!

Also, you can try the Deep Cyrtal Polish step #2 with a white pad after the DACP on a section to see how it looks. (Then use the #7!)

It doesn`t hurt to clay the car again, especially if you`re ready to roll up your sleeves and go all out with a full blown detail.

abe lincoln
06-17-2003, 02:01 PM
I forgot to mention I will be using #26 High Tech Yellow Wax to protect everything. Is it better to use a PC for wax?

shaf
06-17-2003, 03:51 PM
You could if you have the liquid version. That`s the only reason why I have some handy. I guess it did help to get the wax coats really thin and application was probably faster than by hand, but I wonder if that`s just because the pad is so much larger than a hand app. :p

If you have any hazing left from the DACP, use the Step 1 to polish it out then glaze and wax. As far as I know, Step 2 "polish" is a glaze like #7....

EBPcivicsi
06-17-2003, 05:02 PM
If you use the DACP with the cutting pad you will definately need to follow with a glaze. I have done this on black and did not see marring(after dacp /cutting pad) but, the finish was not ready for wax. I think as far as glaze goes(with the products that you have) I would go with the #7 over the #2 deep crystal. The #7 is a little harder to work with but, I think it gives better results. Just my .02