PDA

View Full Version : Equivelant to GEPC?

Spilchy
06-16-2003, 02:52 PM
What`s out on the market locally that is similar to GEPC that will aid in the removal of haze left by DACP or a similar abrasive?

Thanks.

imported_Greg
06-16-2003, 03:07 PM
Megs swirl free. Go to a Harley dealer and SEC, same as GEPC.

Spilchy
06-16-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Greg

Megs swirl free. Go to a Harley dealer and SEC, same as GEPC.

Swirl free?? You mean the #9? I thought that was more "abrasive." I have that already - just haven`t used it.

Hmm, thanks!

shaf
06-16-2003, 05:24 PM
As I understand it, #9/Swirl Free is more abrasive than GEPC, but would still be the next step down to remove hazing if you don`t have GEPC.

Bruce
06-16-2003, 05:50 PM
Spilchy, I`m looking for the same thing, and having a devil of a time figuring out how abrasive things are. I like Menzerna Final Polish, which I believe has a very mild cutting action.

You might also try 3M PI-III MG with a white polishing pad.

I`ve been assuming VM`s abrasives are quite mild, but I don`t know for sure...just an impression. Does anyone know?

I am VERY happy with Poorboy`s SSR3 for heavy duty work. Steve has some lighter polishes in that line, so I think it would be worthwhile giving him a call.

imported_Greg
06-16-2003, 06:11 PM
Well I know its more abrasive, but its for removing DACP haze. Swirl free does the trick.

Spilchy
06-16-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Bruce

Spilchy, I`m looking for the same thing, and having a devil of a time figuring out how abrasive things are. I like Menzerna Final Polish, which I believe has a very mild cutting action.

I`ve been assuming VM`s abrasives are quite mild, but I don`t know for sure...just an impression. Does anyone know?

I am VERY happy with Poorboy`s SSR3 for heavy duty work. Steve has some lighter polishes in that line, so I think it would be worthwhile giving him a call.

I used Final Polish on a 1978 Mercedes that has sat indoors in a climate controlled garage every day of its life and has 24000 miles on it. I detailed it yesterday. I noticed the color of the car`s paint coming off on the pad! :scared :shocked This guy is a fanatic and didn`t want him to see. So I switched to GEPC, #7 and P21s and the end result was magnificent (pics to follow) He said it was the best detail he`s ever had and gave me an extra $50 as a tip! I spent half the time removing some loser`s paste wax from every crevice from his last detailer.

Why would the paint of a flawless car come off when using Final Polish? I mean it is supposed to be such a great, nice polish product? :nixweiss :nixweiss Is this normal? I`ve never had this before! I would love to know why.

imported_Greg
06-16-2003, 06:59 PM
The car didn`t have a clearcoat on it. It has some mild abrasives that were taking the very top layer of paint off. Not a big deal at all, my pads and towels are black after I get done with a good polishing session with my car. Yes it is normal and no you shouldn`t be worried.

Spilchy
06-16-2003, 07:29 PM

The car didn`t have a clearcoat on it. It has some mild abrasives that were taking the very top layer of paint off. Not a big deal at all, my pads and towels are black after I get done with a good polishing session with my car. Yes it is normal and no you shouldn`t be worried.

Thanks Greg. I detail a slew of newer cars with zero issues. This was my first classic and was slightly startled to see the paint on the pad. I wish I could play with a spare non-clear coated body panel to get the hang of it and for the fun of it! However, the combo I used was sufficient enough and my neighbor was thrilled.

Do you have a classic? What type of car (if not the BMW), produces those black rags after polishing? Thanks for the responses.

Spilchy
06-16-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Bruce

Hey Bruce. The VM is relatively mild and safe. Scottwax has mentioned this previously. He seems to really enjoy the product and nearly every picture he has posted contains VM as part of his routine - usually SMR, VM then s100 or DACP, SMR, VM and s100. (Sometimes Final Polish gets thrown in there)

2wheelsx2
06-16-2003, 07:37 PM
All kinds of cars still don`t have clearcoat finishes. Do a search on clearcoat and you will see some serious `````ing about Lexus paints. Apparently, the yellow and the onyx don`t. I know red Miatas don`t (or didn`t) because I did one, and tons of oxidized red paint came off. I think many of the older Japanese cars didn`t either.

imported_Greg
06-16-2003, 07:38 PM
Nope, the Bimmer isn`t clearcoated.

Spilchy
06-16-2003, 07:44 PM

Nope, the Bimmer isn`t clearcoated.

Ah, ok. My neighbor has a hunter green model 2002 bimmer from the 70`s. He too bugged out one day when he put that Ibiz crap on it and green paint ended up on his rag. That was like a dozen years ago.