PDA

View Full Version : Clarification on swirl marks?

m3avrck
06-16-2003, 01:49 PM
Hi guys! I just have a quick question on swirl marks. I recently used my PC firt the first time and the results were great.

However, if you look in direct sunlight, you can see what appears to be a spiderweb of marks around the sun lit part. I`m assuming these are swirl marks, however, my only hesistation is that these can only be seen in direct sunlight, otherwise they aren`t noticeable.

Just wanted to make sure so I can figure out what to do to remedy this problem (likely Meguiars Swirl Free polish).

Thanks.

Mmmph
06-16-2003, 04:08 PM
Meg`s SFP is good, but I`ve moved to 3M Perfect-it III Machine Glaze with a white CMA pad. Swirlmarks all gone!

You want swirl marks?

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24550

Patrick
06-16-2003, 04:17 PM
Swirl marks come in various sizes shapes and severities but normally follow a circular motion.. ....I did a horrible 94 Camry Saturday, forest green......1st I clayed, then I used DACP, then followed with 3M SMR, AIO, and PUPP......If i had only needed SMR and AIO, plus PUPP, I would still have called them swirl marks.....The point is, anything resembling other than normal wear and tear, can and is often considered a swirl. However, poor maintenance can cause swirl marks as well.....i.e. lack of washing, dry cleaning, too frequent of CD on too dirty of a surface.......Someone made reference a while back, swirl marks with 400 grit are like swirl marks with 800 grit, there both swirl marks, one is just deeper. So adjust your products accordingly.........

m3avrck
06-16-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Mmmph

You want swirl marks?

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24550

Wow, those are really bad. :(

The ones on my car were barely noticeable, even in direct sun light. I`m assuming the white paint on my car helps to conceal swirl marks to some degree too. Thanks for the pictures and clarification.

hazman
06-16-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Patrick

.......Someone made reference a while back, swirl marks with 400 grit are like swirl marks with 800 grit, there both swirl marks, one is just deeper. So adjust your products accordingly.........

Very well said.:up