PDA

View Full Version : Review: Meguiar`s GC Trim Detailer

Pages : [1] 2

Tim Lingor
06-16-2003, 12:40 PM
Hey everyone!!

I had a chance to try out Meguiar’s Gold Class Trim Detailer G-10810, and I have to say that I really like it!!! It is used to restore faded black trim as well as to remove wax residue on plastic pieces.

I applied the Trim Detailer with a toothbrush to some plastic molding that has had wax fighting to remain in them for quite sometime. The nice smelling, thick liquid, easily adhered to the vertical surfaces. After a quick scrubbing with the toothbrush, I removed the remaining liquid.

The result was spectacular! I have always used 3M Wax Remover for taking wax out of the plastic, but the liquid is really thin and tended to, if I was not careful, to run down the side of the car/truck; then, I would have to re-wax the area and add a dressing to the plastic. But after the Trim Detailer, I was left with an incredibly black molding! It was a little too shiny for my tastes, so I wiped it down a couple of times until a lower satin gloss was achieved. :)

I will write a follow up on the product once I have given it some time to be exposed to the weather and the elements. Right now, I am very pleased!!! :xyxthumbs

Cheers!

Tim

Pats300zx
06-16-2003, 02:10 PM
I have always been pleased with Megs GC Trim Detailer. Its not as runny as Mothers B2B and seems to hold up alot better. It does tend to be alittle shiny but that can be reduced by buffing.

One of my fav trim detailers...:up

imported_Faceman
06-16-2003, 03:05 PM
Does it streak when it rains? I`ve tried megs #38 tyre and trim gel, which works well, but I`ve noticed it runs when it rains, and leaves streaks on my fiancee`s bumpers, and on my paintwork where it runs down from the wing mirror surrounds.

Thanks

face

imported_Faceman
06-16-2003, 03:07 PM
Also, can you use it on the rubber surrounds/seals of windows?

Thanks (again!)

Face

Tim Lingor
06-16-2003, 06:37 PM
Hi Face!

I have not noticed it streaking from the rain like Mother`s Back to Black. But in all fairness, it is pollen season around here, so it may be covering the streaks. Next time that it rains, which is suppose to be Wed. I will go out, carefully wipe any pollen off with a CCD, and look for streaks. If I spot any, I will take a pic and post them. Fair enough??

As for the seals, I can not see why not. But, I will try and find out and get back to you.

At this point, I can honestly say that I really like it!! :xyxthumbs

I hope this helps!

Tim

imported_Faceman
06-17-2003, 06:42 AM
That`s most helpful.

Appreciate it,

Face

ntwrkguy1
06-17-2003, 07:24 AM
Face,

I`ve used Trim Detailer quite a bit on my wife`s black Suburban, and have noticed that if you buff the piece that you applied Trim Detailer to, it pretty much eliminates streaking. I`ve also applied it to the molding around the windows, and it works like a champ there.

What`s really interesting is that I`ve used it on the roof rack of the Suburban, and after buffing, it`s got a `like-new` matte finish. However, YMMV, since the Suburban is garaged most of the time (my wife works out of the house, and the kids take the bus to school!) All in all, one of Meguiar`s better products!

hth,

DavidM

imported_Faceman
06-18-2003, 03:24 PM
Many thanks, guys

Face

ryeh2o
06-18-2003, 03:47 PM
Great review 2hotford. I was wondering if you used it in the wheel wells? Mine are black plastic, and could use a good sprucing up.

Thanks

Tim Lingor
06-18-2003, 05:47 PM
Hey RyeH20,

Thanks for the kind comment.

As to the wheel wells, I can not see why not. It would make them look fantastic!! Matter of fact, I may just have to try your suggestion as my truck has HUGE wheel wells to detail!!

Cheers

Tim

Tim Lingor
06-18-2003, 06:00 PM
Hey All,

Well, I wanted to do a follow up after the first rain storm to see if the Trim Detailer would streak.

Good news! Unlike Back to Black that streaks down the side of your car/truck after it rains, I do not see anything from the Trim Detailer!! Plus, the plastic still looks just as good as it did the day I applied it!

Tim

imported_Faceman
06-19-2003, 05:01 PM
Thats great news.... may well have to invest in some tomorrow...

Thanks again, Tim

Face

Tim Lingor
06-19-2003, 05:51 PM
Hey , no problem Face! If you have any more questions, just PM me and I will reply as soon as I can!!

Cheers!

Tim

JAGOWNER1981
06-19-2003, 08:23 PM
I got streaks from the GC trim detailer. YMMV

Tim Lingor
06-19-2003, 09:01 PM
Hmmm....that is very curious Al! I did wipe it quite thoroughly as I stated in my first post. Was there another dressing underneath or used previously on the plastic that was not cleaned off completely?? I am a loss?:nixweiss Can you tell me what you used it on, and how? Thanks