PDA

View Full Version : PC7424 + wool pad vs. rotary buffer

ntwrkguy1
06-16-2003, 06:38 AM
For the most part, my detailing consists of using a PC7424 and various foam pads. However, I`ve been approached by a customer who has 2 cars with paint in terrible condition. I tried a yellow cutting pad with Meguiar`s DACP, and still a great deal of water spots/scratches remained. This particular car (1998 Honda Accord) is dark green, so the remaining defects are fairly obvious.

Is it possible to get `rotary-like` results using the 7424 and a wool pad? It`s one combo I haven`t used, since I would typically use my buffer. But my buffer is currently in Florida, and I won`t be able to pick it up until late July.

Has anyone used the wool pad/7424 combo with success?

TIA,

DavidM

jimmybuffit
06-16-2003, 07:26 AM
Yes. DACP with the wool pad, and substantial pressure on speed 5.

Lighten up as the compound breaks down...

The rotary would do the job faster, but you`ll be happy with the PC`s results.

Jim

topnotchtouch
06-16-2003, 09:45 AM
I have also had some success with a CMA yellow pad and Meguiars #2 Fine-Cut Cleaner. It doesn`t break down like it normally would with a buffer so you get a lot of micro-marring left over but a second pass with DACP will take care of that. If you are unsure try it out on a car or a spare panel that you can test on. This is what I did and have had great success removing damage that DACP won`t.

Accumulator
06-16-2003, 10:24 AM
I`ve used the wool pad, at speed 6, with 3M`s FCRC. To me, combination just wasn`t that aggressive, only a bit more so than with the yellow cutting pad. It leaves a little more marring, but it`s NOT like it turns the PC into a rotary or anything. DO remember that some problems can`t be solved except with a paint gun, take off too much clear (by ANY method) and the paint`s toast.

Paul Harvey
06-17-2003, 09:07 AM
I have the Meg`s Wool pad for my PC.

Is it me or is it way bigger than a foam pad for the pc. I have a bigger backing plate for it (6"?)

I only used it once as when i turned on the pc the thing vibrated really hard...it didn`t feel right.

shaf
06-17-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by SICRYDE

I have the Meg`s Wool pad for my PC.

Is it me or is it way bigger than a foam pad for the pc. Sounds like you got the big 8" version. They make a 6" version too, W-4006 I think the part # is.

Paul Harvey
06-17-2003, 03:29 PM
oops...I am goign to have to check that out when i get home

Oh well maybe this is a sign for me to buy a rotary for experimental purposes.;)