PDA

View Full Version : It`s all in the prep +

pingable
06-15-2003, 08:59 PM
I`ve been using a combo of GEPC/P21S monthly and the results are coming out great.

I plan to truly take care of the minor scratches I have on my Jet Black car and try out klasse/aio.

I plan to do the whole clay route, etc but which product should I use to prep the car and remove the scrathes/minor swirls. I have to order one or the either so....

Menzerna Intensive Polish followed by Final Polish

or

3M PI III Rubbing Compound followed by Menzerna Final Polish.

Which is more abrasive - Menzerna IP or 3M PI III.

I plan to do a coat of AIO followed by SG afterwards.

Fr0zen
06-15-2003, 09:05 PM
Menzerna Products are supposed to be used togather example Menzerna Finial Cut,Menzerna Intensive Polish,Menzerna Finial Polish. Fast cut isnt avalible for sale in the USA but JGV Can send you some im about to buy some from him this week Menzerna Intensive and Finial Polish Should take care of your swirls if you have deep scratchs where the finish is dull i would get some finial cut. Better yet ask JGV He is the menzerna Expert.

Deanski
06-15-2003, 09:15 PM
Chefwong,

Here is a listing as per Bret, one of the members who has compiled this list:

"OK, I`ve been searching for a guide to abrasiveness on many different products for a while now. I stumbled on this thread and thought I`d post the list I`ve compiled thus far. I`m cetainlty open to changes in it too - especially from Mike.

COMPOUNDS, POLISHES AND GLAZES SORTED BY CUTTING ABILITY

10 – MOST AGGRESSIVE - COMPOUNDS

3M SUPER DUTY RUBBING COMPOND HEAVY CUT 39004

MEGUIAR’S BODY SHOP PROFESSIONAL DIAMOND CUT COMPOUND 2.0 VERY HEAVY CUT #85

MEGUIAR’S BODY SHOP PROFESSIONAL COMPUND POWER CLEANER HEAVY CUT #84

3M PERFECT-IT III EXTRA CUT RUBBING COMPOUND 05936

MEGUAIR’S MIRROR GLAZE HEAVY CUT CLEANER #4

3M IMPERIAL MICRO FINISHING COMPOUND MEDIUM CUT 39001

MEGUIAR’S MIRROR GLAZE MEDIUM-CUT CLEANER #1

3M PERFECT-IT III RUBBING COMPOUND 05933

MEGUIAR’S BODY SHOP PROFESSIONAL DUAL ACTION CLEANER POLISH MEDIUM CUT #83

3M PERFECT-IT II RUBBING COMPOUND FINE CUT 39002

MEGUIAR’S MIRROR GLAZE FINE-CUT CLEANER #2

3M ONE STEP CLEANER WAX, MEDIUM OXIDATION REMOVER 39066

MENZERNA INTENSIVE POLISH

3M PERFECT-IT SWIRL MARK REMOVER DARK CARS 39009

3M PERFECT-IT SWIRL MARK REMOVER LIGHT CARS 39109

MEGUIAR’S MEDALLION PAINT CLEANER #97

MEGUIAR’S SCRATCH-X #108

4 - POLISHES

MEGUIAR’S BODY SCRUB A10

MEGUIAR’S DEEP CRYSTAL PAINT CLEANER #30

MEGUIER’S QUICK DETAILER #66

MEGUIER’S SPEED GLAZE #80

BLACK FIRE DEEP GLOSS POLISH

MEGUIAR’S BODY SHOP PROFESSIONAL SWIRL FREE POLISH LIGHT CUT #82

MEGUIAR’S MIRROR GLAZE SWIRL REMOVER #9

3M FINESSE-IT II MACHINE POLISH 39003

3M FINESSE-IT II FINISHING MATERIAL 05928

MENZERNA FINAL POLISH

2 - GLAZES

MEGUIAR’S BODY SHOP PROFESSIONAL HAND POLISH VERY LIGHT CUT #81

MEGUIAR’S MIRROR GLAZE MACHINE GLAZE #3

3M PERFECT-IT III TRIZACT MACHINE GLAZE 05930

3M PERFECT-IT III MACHINE GLAZE 05937

3M IMPERIAL MACHINE GLAZE 05991

3M ONE STEP CLEANER WAX, LIGHT OXIDATION REMOVER 39006

MEGUIAR’S MIRROR GLAZE SHOW CAR GLAZE #7

3M PERFECT-IT III FINISHING GLAZE 05941

3M IMPERIAL HAND GLAZE 39007

BLACKFIRE ALL FINISH PAINT PROTECTION

This may me a good starting point for you.

I have used the Menzena IP and FP just this weekend on a `03 Red Lexus SC430. I used the FP first to see if any of the light swirls would be removed. That did not work, so switched to IP and Orange Pad. This took some time, and I have to follow up with Meguiars #9 than Menzerna FP with White Pad.

That did get out most, but not all. Looks as the swirls ran deeper than I thought. Dealer had it preped and must of used one of those 10lb+ terry-cloth bonnet buffers.

Aanyway, mixed up some Zaino Z5/ZFX and applied. Interesting enough, more swilrs are gone! Followed by mix of Zaino Z2/ZFX. Thunder was in background so I had to stop with the Z2 still on, pull into the garage and finish removing Z2. Each had Z6 misted between coats. Looks pretty good, but I will have to schedule time to use DACP then IP/FP combo and re-Zaino.

I always start with a less abrasive level 1st, then if it still not doing the job, time to switch to more abrasive level until I hit on the one! Once all swirls are gone, I polish the sh** out of it to get the best shine, then comes all the protection, Zaino and Souveran. It`s a lot of work, but results are great.

Go through the list and see what works best for you.

The list is being updated in same forum, so keep your eyes out for it.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deanski

pingable
06-15-2003, 09:27 PM
I have Menzerna Final Polish. Tried this out with no luck removing the current scratches. I know I need to step up to something more abrasive but I wasn`t sure if Intensive Polish is what I should be using or 3m PI III.

I found Final Polish to be such a Bear to buff off originally. It was easier following up with QD and buffing became much easier. On the last 2 panels, I ran the RO till it was almost 100% dry and a quick wipe of the MF did the trick.

Deanski
06-15-2003, 09:34 PM
Yes your right, the IP IS a pain to remove! I tried the 50/50 water/alcohol and that seems to work.

Same issue, swilrs still there after FP and white pad. IP and orange did start to remove some, had to increase speed on PC to 4/5 and apply a bit more downward pressure to make it cut.

I think it`s just that I did not have enough time to work it long enough in one section. I`ll have to try again.

Menzerna polish is a great product, just need a bit more "learining" with it to get the results I think.

Hope you luck out better than I did.

Deanski

Fr0zen
06-15-2003, 09:36 PM
Finial Polish Doesnt Remove Swirls it is just supposed to remove the milky look after Intensive polish you cant remove all the swirls with a PC you need a rotary and you must work with the polish until its not visible then all you do is just whipe it with a mircofiber i had no problem removeing it.

Scott301
06-15-2003, 09:43 PM
I got a sample of Menzerna Power Gloss from Menzerna USA. I`ve heard it is what you should use if IP doesn`t work. How much stronger than IP is Power Gloss JGV?

Thanks,

Brad

Fr0zen
06-15-2003, 09:45 PM
What do you have to do to get samples Power Gloss never heard of that Fast Cut is supposed to be the strongest polish they have.

Scott301
06-15-2003, 09:50 PM
I emailed them at Menzerna USA and they sent me a pretty good size sample bottle of the product.

Brad

Deanski
06-15-2003, 09:56 PM
Frozen,

I thought a rotary would just creat more swirls even WITh a foam pad and a good polish?

Which product catalog from Menzerna are we reffering to?

Deanski