PDA

View Full Version : What`s the frequency you clean/condition your leather.

jsoto
06-13-2003, 09:21 AM
I have beige leather and plan to keep it beige - not jean blue beige <g>.

What is the time intervals do you use on your leather seats. I like the Griot`s products for the leather (conditioner & interior cleaner) and plan on cleaning every 3X months with a water wipedown whenever I clean the car (about once a week).

Is it too much if I plan to put conditioner once 1 month on the seats..

imported_Greg
06-13-2003, 10:04 AM
I detail my interior- steam clean carpets, condition/clean leather about every 2 months.

imported_BretFraz
06-13-2003, 12:40 PM
I detail my leather 3-4 times per year or when they look like they need it.

Acura_RL
06-13-2003, 01:02 PM
Every 2-3 months, I do separate cleaning and conditioning with Lexol cleaner and conditioner.

In between the intervals, I will use Meguiar`s cleaner/conditioner 1-step product.

Scott P
06-13-2003, 02:07 PM
I don`t clean and condition my leather nearly enough. I always find something else around that needs to be done. Hopefully this weekend will give me the hour or so I`ll need.

imported_capspackle
06-13-2003, 02:32 PM
Can you condition your leather too often?

I live in an extremely hot climate, and my car sits ouside in the sun nearly every day, so i condition my leather about every 2 weeks.. Is this overkill?

Acura_RL
06-13-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by PathfinderGuy

Can you condition your leather too often?

I live in an extremely hot climate, and my car sits ouside in the sun nearly every day, so i condition my leather about every 2 weeks.. Is this overkill?

Probably. You want at least a 4 week interval. Also, regarding the sun damage, conditioning only maintains suppleness, however the UV rays can still discolor the leather (I think). That`s why over at the CMA website, they recommend spraying a light coat of 303 every 2 weeks or so on the leather to protect against UV rays.

tkr128
06-13-2003, 09:13 PM
I`ve been doing it probably once every 3 months, which isn`t exactly working well as they are getting a little worn. When I get my new car (if it has leather), i`ll probably condition it weekly, or at least apply something that protects it.

Deanski
06-13-2003, 09:18 PM
As often as they start to get a bit dirty.

The Lexus SC430 I have has Ecru interior (light cream) and are easy to get dirty. Clean with Lexol and protect with Einszett Lederpflege. Other conditioner, Autoglym.

Deanski

Scottwax
06-13-2003, 11:27 PM
Wipe the leather down with a damp cloth every time you wash your car. Deep clean and condition as needed. No hard and fast rules, it all depends on how dirty your leather gets.

MBZ 500E
06-14-2003, 11:46 AM
Pathfinder Guy,

If your car is sitting outside in the sun and your concerned about sun damage take a look at window tint that deflects the UV. They even make a clear version now if you already have tinted glass.

I condition every 4 - 6 weeks, I hardly ever clean since it`s only driven weekends and I`m not wearing dirty clothes when I get in. When I had the Honda with cream leather I cleaned and conditioned every 4 - 6 weeks.