PDA

View Full Version : Stumped, Need Advice

valkmike
06-12-2003, 04:57 PM
I`m trying to help a friend with an older Acura Integra, red. It has heavy oxidation on the rear deck and hood from the sun.

I used Griot`s number 1 polish and my PC yesterday and went over it several times. There is a slight improvement but still far from great.

Any suggestions on what I try next? The number 3 was the most aggressive polish I have.

All input appreciated.

Jngrbrdman
06-12-2003, 05:04 PM
I don`t know what Honda uses for paint but their red seems to be the worst with oxidation. Check out this thread (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23482). I love using Klasse for oxidation and especially on red. I have some pictures somewhere of milano red after Klasse. I`ll have to find it somewhere. Klasse is not an abrasive product and for some reason it is just really effective on oxidation.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/2020half_from_the_back-med.jpg

That gives you an idea of what this stuff is capable of. Its really sweet stuff. :bigups :bow :bow

2wheelsx2
06-12-2003, 05:15 PM
I got similar results as Jngrbrdman, but it was on a `91 Miata, and I used DACP.

Did you use a polishing pad, or a cutting pad? I was able to use a polishing pad with DACP to remove the oxidation, but you might want to try a cutting pad too.

Jngrbrdman
06-12-2003, 05:22 PM
I used a cutting pad becuase the AIO grips to the oxidation and a polishing pad tends to fall apart when you try to use it. The foam just isn`t firm enough I guess. I use either a yellow pad or Meguiar`s purple pad for AIO on beasts like that truck. Normally just the yellow pad is all I need. I do it by hand if the surface is already in good shape. No point in using a canon to kill a mosquito, ya know?

2wheelsx2
06-12-2003, 05:24 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. I think even a cleanser like SEC, or one I have experience with, Mother`s Pre-Wax cleaner, takes care of oxidation, as long as it is done right.

shaf
06-12-2003, 06:45 PM
Valkmike, I`m a bit confused. Not being a Griots user I looked up the polish grades and it seems Griot`s Polish 1 is actually the strongest, and the Polish 3 the gentlest. Which one did you use? What type of pad (cutting/polishing/etc) did you use too?

PS: Welcome to Autopia! :welcome

valkmike
06-12-2003, 09:55 PM
4DSC Yes, you`re correct No. 1 is the strongest, and that`s the one I used. Had a polishing pad on the PC and used slow to moderate speeds. The results were not what I had hoped for.

BTW this is the first time I`ve used the Griot`s products.

Tim Lingor
06-12-2003, 09:59 PM
Hey,

I would try DACP on either a Meg`s yellow polishing pad first or if needed Meg`s maroon cutting pad. The one thing that I noticed is that you used slow speeds. I would do the opposite!! Speed up to #5 on the PC when compounding and slow down to 4-5 when polishing. Make sure to work the product until only a fine dust residue is left.

Tim

Accumulator
06-13-2003, 11:14 AM
valkmike - Long-time Griot`s Machine Polish user here, switching to 3M, BTW, as I use up the last of my Griot`s. I understand your frustration, those polishes, used with Griot`s pads, can seem like a real waste of time. MP#1 is NOT all that aggressive, despite what GG`s says (their previous formulation was a lot more abrasive). AND if you`re using it with Griot`s orange pad it might not do much at all. Using it with a real CUTTING pad (Meg`s purple or CMA/Lake/TOL yellow) helps quite a bit. Dampening the cutting pad with water helps a little more. Also, crank up the speed. I don`t hesitate to use speed 6 with the GG MP`s- no problems. BTW, I usually use a damp cutting pad for MOST of my work with MP#2 also, with just a quick pass with a less aggressive pad as a follow-up. And as 2hotford said, always work it sufficiently.

valkmike
06-13-2003, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the feedback, I`ll try your suggestions and let you know how it worked out.

captkirk2
06-13-2003, 12:15 PM
There might be underlying paint defects. If you made a couple of passes and it doesnt come up, then it might have an inferior repaint. Is the paint checked or cracked?

valkmike
06-13-2003, 01:07 PM
There are no cracks in the paint, just very discolored and `bleached out`. You may be correct about a paint defect but it definetly looks like oxidation. I tried the polish and applied wax, it buffs up with a gloss but there is no color definition in these areas.

shaf
06-13-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

valkmike - Long-time Griot`s Machine Polish user here, switching to 3M, BTW, as I use up the last of my Griot`s. I understand your frustration, those polishes, used with Griot`s pads, can seem like a real waste of time. MP#1 is NOT all that aggressive, despite what GG`s says... Gee thanks Accumulator :), I had read the Griot`s description of #1 and I was left scratching my head a bit as to why nothing was happening...