PDA

View Full Version : Orange peel question...

Jake11375
06-12-2003, 10:57 AM
I have some factory orange peel on my rear bumper. I`ve been researching OP removal techniques on this site and about.com. There`s no question that wetsanding is the key, but how do you determine whether the orange peel originates in the base coat or the clear coat? Wet-sanding is useless if the OP is in the base coat because you would have to remove your clear to get the base. :confused:

reghu
06-12-2003, 12:21 PM
well from what i know from sources here, the orange peel originates from the clear coat and wet sanding is the only way to remove it i guess. most people use the lighter quality sand paper from 3M or Wurth , guess it should show good results. also i think if they OP isnt really bad you should just leave it i mean considering the fact that it is really difficult to notice and since it is on ur rear bumper too.

but again it depends on how bad it is

shaf
06-12-2003, 01:50 PM
I heard it could be in either coat, but it`s kind of irrelevant if you have a clear coated car anyway because you have to be just as careful not to remove too much.

Jake11375
06-12-2003, 02:07 PM
Well I guess if it`s in the base coat, the clear will settle to the base coat`s form too. :doh That makes sense. I know it`s not that noticealbe but everytime I detail my bumper it just urks me. Guess I`ll just try it, `cause I won`t be satisfied until I find out. `preciate the input.:up