PDA

View Full Version : Confused about the differences among these "final" glaze/polish/cleansing products

JustinR32
06-11-2003, 09:56 PM
Or, about the differences and similarities! I have a handle on it a bit, I think it just needs some sorting out.

Here`s what I think I know, please correct the mistakes.

Menzerna FP: all abrasives, no fillers.

3M IHG: All fillers, no abrasives.

Meg`s #7: some abrasives, some fillers.

Eagle 1 Ultra Glaze (all I know is what Scotty said: "It`s green." I`ve had it a while. From the bottle: "The ultimate wet look... hides hairline scratches and cobwebbing... must be used on a non-oxidized surface"): I`d guess same as either IHG or #7, but which? I don`t think this is available as the same name any more.

Pinnacle PCL: Mostly fillers, some abrasive? I`m confused, the label says non-abrasive and citrus based but the product description says it contains natural earths, kelp, rinds, etc, which sound like abrasives to me.

P21S PCL and GEPC: are these the same? Are they the same as PPCL, or more like IHG? If they aren`t the same, how are they different, and how do they relate to the other products?

Safe Cut, by "The Wax Shop": I think I have a handle on this one, it`s like Meg`s #9 I think. It says on the bottle, "Swirl and haze remover. Designed for overspray, water spots, oxidation, and fine scratches." It shouldn`t be in this group of products, it`s maybe a step more aggressive. Their next product they call "Super Glaze Wax", though, and say that it is "non-abrasive", but if it`s a wax it doesn`t fit here either.

So, I`d guess that You can use IHG over top of PPCL/GEPC/PCL, over top of #7, over top of FP (not that you`d want to any of that, but you could), but not the other way around?

Sheesh. And all I wanted when I first showed up here was a shiny car. Look what`s happened to me!

Mosca

Accumulator
06-12-2003, 10:52 AM
Mosca- It sure IS easy to get confused on this topic! MY $0.02 on a few of the products you mentioned:

The #7 seems to be virtually non-abrasive. I haven`t used it for ages, but that`s how I remember it. Plenty of solvents, though.

The PPCL, according to Irene at TOL, has VERY mild abrasives, similar to talc. Not strong enough to remove much, not strong enough to be a problem/issue. I`ve never noticed much filling, the mild abrasives and citrus compounds just seem to clean the paint, leaving it "squeaky clean". Note: I`ve heard that there have been subtle changes in the PCL. My PCL experiences are with the "older", more citrusy version, I don`t know if it`s really changed but I hear the new version might be a LITTLE harsher, abrasive-wise.

The P21S GEPC (haven`t tried the S100) is similar to the PPCL. With the "old" PCL, the P21S seemed stronger abrasive-wise, now it might be the other way around. But we`re talking MINUTE differences between VERY mild abrasives. The P21S is NOT like the IHG, which seems to be all solvent (mainly Stoddard Solvent) and oils.