PDA

View Full Version : Just drove a Jag XKS 100 convertible!

JustinR32
06-11-2003, 08:27 PM
A customer I was talking to. He said, "It`s a unique feeling, putting $70,000 down on a car and still owing $50,000." Then he offered me the keys! I got about 15 minutes in it. Top down, of course.

Highlights:

1) POWER. Gobs of it, at any speed. It feels like a motorcycle, like a hand comes down from the sky and pushes your chest. I`d never think a 4500lb car could accelerate that way.

2) BRAKES. Like throwing out an anchor. I don`t know what the world standard is, but this car`s gotta be a candidate in the 0/100/0 test for its class.

3) FINISH. The black paint is like glass, not a flaw in it that I could see.

It handled OK, I wasn`t ready to stress someone else`s megabuck machine though. No real feedback, but lots of grip, not much roll at all for a big car. At cruising speed, there was too much disconnect at the controls for what I felt like I was driving.

DISAPPOINTMENT. It has a "Ford feel" to it. At rest, turn the wheel; it resists a little, and then the power kicks in and it turns like it`s on bearings. The turn signals, radio, and climate control buttons look and feel like they`re from a Lincoln; there was no "tactile engineering" done at the interface between the metal and the flesh. The leather is leathery, but not heavenly like I expected; I`d have expected a little more "soul" from a Jag.

I guess some of the dime is for the exclusivity. I suppose I was expecting more. There`s plenty there, but I expected more. Nice car, though. Nice car.

Mosca

Cazzzidy
06-25-2003, 02:53 PM
Jaguars do nothing but dissapoint.

I just inherited a 1989 Jag XJS V12 with 30,000 orig miles on it. This thing is slower than my 2.6L Mercedes 190E and doesnt handle as well. Nothing better than the look of a beutiful sport coupe though.

Accumulator
06-26-2003, 11:16 AM
I kept meaning to post on this thread...

MOSCA- Glad to hear the paint was so nice. The dealers around here mess them up so badly they all need repainting! Scratched down to the prime, wheels gouged through the finish, etc. etc. :(

Cazzzidy- Well, to each their own :cool: Heh heh, you`ve awakened my sleeping XJS-mania, so put on your flame-suit :p. Can`t say that MY XJS has been a disappointment, and I`ve had 18 years to make up my mind. The 0-60 IS sorta slow (due primarily to the rear end gears) but I`ve seen an indicated 137 mph in it, and back in `85 that was pretty OK. In fact, back then it was one of the better long distance cruisers on the market. Before I got IT I had a 928, so I knew the competition. And since then I`ve had 3 MORE 928`s and MANY of other cool cars have come and gone. But I STILL have the XJS. Taken as a luxury car (and one from another era- it`s REALLY a mid-70`s design), as opposed to a sports car, it`s a pretty nice piece. Maybe you`d like it more if you concentrated on its real strengths, like the English-club style interior and, for better and/or worse, it`s hand-crafted nature (you`ve already been seduced by the styling!). With the low mileage, yours sounds like a cool time-capsule car.. and it`s just GOTTA be neat that you inherited it! I sure hope that whoever inherits MINE is in love with it, and, more importantly, that they preserve the thing (my wife and a girl I went to college with both want it- I`d better outlive them both :D).

Sorry if it sounds like I`m busting you over your opinion of it, I sure hope you take all this in the spirit in which it is intended. I just like to think that well preserved Jags (or ANY AND ALL nice cars) are appreciated. BTW, better shocks, springs and tires (and anti-swaybars, etc. etc. ) can REALLY improve the handling. I think I put Konis on it the second week I had it, so I know what you mean about the handling!

Brad B
06-26-2003, 02:43 PM
The sweetest XJS`s (IMHO) are the rare straight sixes with manual transmissions. Much lighter weight up front gives far better weight distribution and the 5-speed is a rare treat which boosts performance. There are two of them in our club in town. One a coupe and one with the surrey top. Both very cool. :up

Accumulator
06-26-2003, 05:00 PM
Brad- Good observation about the manual/6-cylinder XJS`s. At least for those with reliable left knees :o . And I`d somehow EXPECT you to be partial to the straight six engine :D

Those surrey-topped cabs always make me :confused: about whether I like them or not. The package shelf instead of a rear seat is cool, as is the old-school fuel filler, but I sure think they look weird with the roof panels off!

BTW, Lynn sent me a link to the pics your wife took of last weekend`s get-together, looks like everyone had a great time. Glad to hear you got Lynn all PC-manic ;)

Steve @ Guru
06-26-2003, 05:31 PM
My old boss had a very similar car - the 2001 Jaguar XKR Silverstone Edition (225 imported to US)...

390hp Supercharged 4.0L V8, 14" Brembo Brakes (4-piston calipers), 20" 3-piece aluminum wheels, etc.

He paid $130k for it, then drove it off a 150 foot cliff, barrel rolled it 6 or 7 times and walked away from it unharmed. Insurance company estimate showed $84K in damages....they totalled it. It had 6,500 miles on it. :)

Brad B
06-26-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

BTW, Lynn sent me a link to the pics your wife took of last weekend`s get-together, looks like everyone had a great time. Glad to hear you got Lynn all PC-manic ;)

And your "donation" to the cause for Lynn was exceptionally nice. What a true Autopian!

chris0626
06-26-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Brad B.

The sweetest XJS`s (IMHO) are the rare straight sixes with manual transmissions. Much lighter weight up front gives far better weight distribution and the 5-speed is a rare treat which boosts performance. There are two of them in our club in town. One a coupe and one with the surrey top. Both very cool. :up

Brad, do I resemble this remark?? And, if so, which one do I resemble? You guys are code-talking, and I`m getting lost.

And, yes, Brad & Accumulator, I`m going to have your children! :D

Accumulator
06-27-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Lynn

Brad, do I resemble this remark?? And, if so, which one do I resemble? You guys are code-talking, and I`m getting lost.

YIKES! TYPO-ALERT!! I was talking in code alright, I MEANT to say "manual/6-cylinder XJJJs`s" NOT "...XKKKs`s" :o

And NO, Lynn, your coupes do NOT resemble our remarks (lucky you, IMO). We`re talking about somewhat uncommon (in the US) variations of MY Jag.

UHM.. I just HAVE to respond to that, uhm, somehow...on second thought, Brad, maybe YOU can respond....:D

Geekysteve- It seems those poor Silverstone Editions just can`t win. That was what I saw in the showroom that was so trashed. The dealer in question hasn`t learned anything since ruining my XJS in `85.

Sounds like the XKR`s hold up pretty well under duress. That must`ve been quite a wreck to walk away from.

Brad B
06-27-2003, 10:41 AM

You guys are code-talking, and I`m getting lost.

Lost? Maybe. But it`s too late to revoke your offer!;)

chris0626
06-27-2003, 01:57 PM
Well, DUH! Call me stupid. You wrote "XJS." I read "XJ6." :o

Accumulator
06-27-2003, 07:17 PM
Lynn- Well, there IS a manual shift/6-cylinder XJ6 too! Heh heh, no end to all the Jag drivetrain combinations.

Scottwax
06-27-2003, 07:59 PM
:cool: car! I`d love to take one out for a drive! Last luxo-performance car I got to wring out a bit was a 2001 S600 Benz. Nothing like V12 torque to set you back, but probably a dog compared to the new ones with twin turbos that are coming out.

Nikon
06-27-2003, 10:44 PM
I have always wanted a Jag. I think they are the greatest looking cars. Maybe some day!

Hey Cazzzidy, since it doesn`t sound like your to fond of your XJS I could take it off your hands.