PDA

View Full Version : Wheel cleaning question

m3ontwomps
06-11-2003, 05:36 PM
I washed my Hamann PG3 rims a while back with Eagle 1 chrome cleaner of some sort and it left a cloudy/milky discoloration on my rims. Likely because they aren`t chrome. I didn`t read the bottle too well. I know I know. Anyways, does anyone know how or if it`s even possibly to remove this. It doesn`t seem to want to come off. It only left the stain on the polished lip part of the rim. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Jngrbrdman
06-11-2003, 05:39 PM
Hmmmm.... that`s interesting. I`ve seen degreaser do that to aluminum rims. It is definitely a bad thing to use on chrome rims. I would imagine that there are other products that could do that too. Did the product have any warnings about using it on the type of wheels that you used it on?

Sadly I`ve had little success in finding something to take the marks off chrome or aluminum. I think its some kind of chemical reaction to the product and it pretty much hoses the rims. I really hope that isn`t the case here.

imported_capspackle
06-11-2003, 05:55 PM
I dont know if this would work or not, but try some metal polish or a mild abasive cleaner such as AIO on the wheels to see if the discoloration can be taken out.

wash_me
06-11-2003, 06:04 PM
I am pretty sure C-50-Q ALUMINUM & MAG POLISH by Prowax will clean them up.

Spilchy
06-11-2003, 07:30 PM
What do you guys like for safely polishing all types of metal wheels without worrying what type it is? What is your favorite all in one polish for this so we don`t end up with the unfortunate result that m3ontwomps experienced?

imported_2wheelsx2
06-11-2003, 08:38 PM
in my pre auotpia days i used diluted simple green on my rfactory clear coated rims(accord &4runner) well one absent minded day i used it full strenght. and off course had the same results. i have used mother metal polish and it clears the cloudiness for a few months, i have since switched to using a strong soap and water only solution to clean the rims and it seems to keep the cloudiness hidden for a while

m3ontwomps
06-12-2003, 06:03 PM
Thanks a lot guys. I asked the same question on the M3forum.com board but, couldn`t find a good answer. I hope one of these solutions works. Otherwise, I either am out a set of $6k rims or I may be able to have them repainted, but what a pain in the *&$. This is a great site you guys have here. Keep up the good work

shaf
06-12-2003, 06:52 PM
By default I imagine the safest product to use to polish wheels would be some kind of mild paint polish. I mean if they`re not really chrome or if they`re clear coated chrome they`re painted anyway and should be treated almost like paint on the rest of the car IMHO. As I understand it, chrome, aluminum, mag, etc etc polishes are all much stronger than paint polishes.